Holding a hook

I am teaching a girl who knits how to crochet and she holds her hook like a pencil. I have seen that this is ok, but it's really really awkward for me. Is one way easier than the other?

I don't think one way is easier than another. It's just personal preference. The pencil hold is the only way I can crochet. Overhand just feels awkward. :)

welp, from my admittedly small studies based on customer's remarks and a thread or two here, my conclusion is that those who hold their hook like a toothbrush or steak knife have fewer muscle or tendon issues than the pencil holders. This seems to me to have some merit since the hook is held by more fingers in the toothbrush/steaknife grip than the thumb and one or two finger grip in pencil style.

Just seems logical to me that the more muscles you have involved, the less stress.

Now on the other hand if you're a steak knife/toothbrush gripper and the handle of the hook ISN"T grasped by the pinky and ring finger, middle finger and thumb (in other words the handle is pinched between the middle finger and thumb) then I'd suppose that it'd be a toss up as to which grip would be easier on the hand.

hmmmmmm

I hold mine like a stakeknife and use my pinky and ring finger and middle finger to hold. I use my index finger to catch the yarn when it slides down the hook, this give me room for the next loop and to pull through as needed. Sometimes my middle finger is used to hold the yarn too if I'm doing a bigger stitch or something.

I don't think it really matter how you hold your hook, I read some how to books that said the knifeway was "wrong"... but it works for me. I tried the pencil grip but was so slow, I gave up. Decided as long as the stitches were done correctly, it didn't matter. So just make sure the yarn is wrapped around the hook correctly (that's what I had to relearn from my mom who was left handed).

Debbi

Ok, can someone please tell me how exactly I hold mine? lol

I have seen people use their hooks where it goes over the back of their hands. I use mine UNDER the palm, pinched between my thumb and middle finger with my index finger on top.

I assume this would be steak knife style? lol My mom does it the other way. I couldn't force myself to do it that way, as my way was natural to me.

When you all started crocheting, was the way you hold it now natural to you, or taught?

~~Cheri~~

tell you what...search the threads for "post a picture of your grip style" you'll surely find your grip there. Lots of really great pictures of talented crochet hands there.

Color me weird -- I use the pencil hold, right handed for hooks sized J and smaller. I use the knife hold right handed for larger hooks and left handed for all hooks. (I taught myself to crochet left handed a few years ago when I was teaching children to crochet -- was easier with the mixed age groups I was dealing with. Not all of them could get the mirror idea, but when I could show them from their POV, like I did with the right handed kids, they caught on quickly.)

Archived