LB Cottonease for an Aghan?

I went to a city an hour from here today and while we were there, I went to Michaels because I am thinking of making a cabled afghan for a friend of mine and I wanted to check out the various WW yarns available.

Normally, I have used Homespun or Caron's Simply Soft for afghans, but Homespun isn't a good yarn for something like cables, and I think Caron's SS fuzzes and pills too much and is too shiny for a cabled afghan. I wanted something that is still soft but that is also easily cared for, and not so shiny.

Anyway, I found Vanna's new WW yarn and Cottonease; I'd never seen either in person before, so I bought a couple skeins of each to work with it and see how it works up, but I was wondering if anyone here has ever used Cottonease for an afghan.

If so, how does it wear? Is it good for afghans, or is it too heavy?

Thank you!

Nicole

P.S. I am totally in love with the feel of the Cottonease! When I started crocheting, it had already been discontinued, and since they brought it back, I hadn't yet seen it being sold in a store anywhere.

My first afghan earlier this year was made with cottonease. It was easy to work with and made a very nice afghan for my ex-sil, who is battling a recurrence of breast cancer. The afghan was not too heavy.

My only problem with it is cost. For my budget, I just can't afford to make anymore afghans with it. So I've since switched to Peaches & Cream 100% cotton for my other afghans. Contrary to some peoples concerns, I haven't found that the 'ghans made from it have been heavy either, although I do tend to choose somewhat open stitches, which may make the difference.

IMHO, if you can afford it, cottonease will make a nice afghan.....although there is a very limited color selection. There are other cotton/acrylic blends that you may want to investigate also. Good Luck!

I have never made an afghan from any kind of cotton thread, I have always used some kind of acrylic yarn for the easy care. I have thought about it, but wondered how it laundered. Does it shrink? Is it soft after washing? I have made dish cloths with cotton thread and found they faded big time, and then began to look, well....faded.

Yeah---the cost on the cottonease is kind of prohibitive; I haven't looked yet, but I was hoping I could find somewhere online that sells it at a discount of some sort. The color selection is disapppointing.

I would like to try the TLC Cotton Plus--it's acrylic/cotton, as well, and I think cheaper with more colors. I've never seen that in a store before, either.

I'm glad that your afghan didn't turn out too heavy--even with the 100% cotton. I think it might be pretty heavy in a cabled afghan, though since it is more closed work and crossing stitches. I really appreciate your experience with Cottonease!!

I also was wondering about if it would shrink or fade--the package says to wash it in the washer and and dry it in the dryer; I would think that having half acrylic would make it less prone to shrinking or fading. I will probably make up some swatches and launder them and see what happens. I've heard that it gets softer when you launder it.

Nicole

I haven't personally used Cottonease, but I had the opportunity to see and touch an afghan that someone else made using this yarn. It was both beautiful and soft as butter. I would definitely recommend using it for an aghan.

I haven't tried LB Cotton Ease but have tried and love TLC Cotton Plus. Unfortunately it's beyond my budget for making an afghan. But I've made hats with it that my cousins received as gifts and love. I really like the feel of it--it would make a nice afghan, I'm sure.

I myself am rather hesitant to try making an afghan with cotton ww yarn. All the dishcloths I've made have pilled quite badly, and they don't look very nice--then again, I did use Peaches and Cream off the cone (bought it at Wally World). However, if you want something that's easy to take care of and still very soft, (though I'm not as much of a fan of acrylic as I used to be ;)) try out Bernat's Super Value...It comes in lots of colors and is already soft to begin with--much better than Red Heart. It's also cheaper, too. I buy mine at Meijer for about $1.77/skein, whereas Red Heart is about $2.29/skein at the same store. I use it mostly for baby blankets because baby yarn can be expensive, too.

The TLC Cotton Plus IS very nice--I found some in "Salsa" at a dollar store a few years back, and should have bought more. I made a petite-sized Seraphina shawl with it (using 5 skeins) and gave it to dh's grandmother this past spring and she loved it--she always wore it in the chilly mornings while letting her dog out or watering her garden. I used a G hook and it was a dream to work with. I just wish I had more, because I can't find any around here.

I don't think I'd make an afghan out of a 100% cotton yarn for the reasons you stated, but I think the 50% acrylic might make the 50% that is cotton more durable. i'm glad the shawl you made with the TLC Cotton Plus turned out so well--I have never ever seen that in a store; to try it, I'll have to order it.

Thanks for the tip about the Bernat Super Value--I haven't used that before--I have used their ww acrylic that is suposed to be their Simply Soft alternative, and it was soft, but it was kind of fuzzy.

I just finished one and posted about it in the past hour.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=939678&postcount=1899

I was very pleased with the way it turned out. It was soft, and fairly light. But as has been mentioned in this thread, it is a bit too rich for my blood. I made it for my sister, who purchased the yarn, so it didn't cost me a thing! Yes, I would definitely use it again, if I could afford it. But I might try some of the other suggestions mentioned here.

I have made a couple of afghans out of ww 100% cotton - both were made with a pretty open stitch. They are heavy in the washer and fuzz up the dryer quite a bit, so I launder them separately. They do tend to pill a bit, but the open stitch hides that. But, and a HUGE BUT - they are the softest, most comfortable, absolutely favorite afghans to nap under. All three adult children have tried, at various times, to claim either or both of them. I love, love, love them. They get softer with each wash and I never plan to part with either of them.

I have made a couple of afghans out of ww 100% cotton - both were made with a pretty open stitch. They are heavy in the washer and fuzz up the dryer quite a bit, so I launder them separately. They do tend to pill a bit, but the open stitch hides that. But, and a HUGE BUT - they are the softest, most comfortable, absolutely favorite afghans to nap under. All three adult children have tried, at various times, to claim either or both of them. I love, love, love them. They get softer with each wash and I never plan to part with either of them.

Well, I did go on a Peaches & Creme cone-buying spree at Walmart earlier this summer (and hid it from my husband!)---I could always make myself an afghan with that--I haven't made myself an afghan yet. You make it sound so lovely!!

Archived