How do you use your thread crochet pieces?

calicocarolann

I thought it would be interesting to see how others use their thread crochet pieces and also a way to share new ideas for projects.

So, how do you use your thread crochet pieces?

Since I am asking the question I will put my answer here:

1. As doilies for tables and backs of furniture

2. I have framed some pieces that my dh's grandmother and our mothers have made. Now that they are all gone it will preserve them. I have also framed some filet pieces that I made.

3. I make crinoline girl doilies and use them in shadowboxes with posters for the background and I add tiny butterflies, birds, and flowers.

4. I use some pieces as ornaments for Christmas and Easter

5. I made angels without the wings for dolls and have them on display

6. I have Barbies with dresses for the different holidays and seasons for display

7. I make pieces for gifts and Christmas ornaments for family members

8. and my latest project: I made 3 crinoline girls and sewed them onto 14" pillows that I made and 2 square doilies, sewing them now onto a king size pillow sham that I made for my bed.

9. I also make thread dishclothes and use them

10. Motifs that I sew to t-shirts to dress them up

11. Jewelry

I also change out my doilies around the house each season. I have a round table in my entry room that I decorate for each holiday/season.

I am very interested to know how you all use your pieces too.

I use my thread pieces all around my house.

Doilies and runners to protect my furniture.

chair backs,

Pillow tops,

Bedspreads,

Tableclothes,

Curtins,

lampshades,

shawls,

pincushions.

coasters,

basketliners,

Framed special pieces.

bookmarkers,

ornaments,

hairpieces,

jewerly,

Purses and shopping bags.

clothing

Edgings on my pillowcases and towels,

Trim on articles of clothing.

of course lots of gifts to others.

I rarely use a doily as something else. I would rather make each piece to fit it's need. I don't want to look like I grabbed a doily and decided to wear it as a hat. ( just an example.) But that is my personal quirk. besides it gives me an excuse to dig out my hook and thread.

I love thread and use it every aspect of my life that I can think of.

"snowflake" ornaments

After my mother died, I was given my parents wedding rings. I had no ring case, so I crocheted a small pouch, from thread, and lined it with felt.

Almost forgot: I had some souvenirs from some beach-combing: a small piece of driftwood and some seashells. I made a strip of hairpin lace, making long loops. One side I hung over the driftwood. On the other side I made chains of different lengths coming off each loop. Drilled a hole in the seashell. attached the seashell to the chain. A wall-hanging!

Ruth

Other than my many thread crocheted Christmas tree ornaments, I don't really use/display my thread crochet. I have a doily or two around the house, but the majority of them are packed away.

Yeah, I know that is such a waste. But as much as I love making them, I also think too much lacey crochet dripping all over the house looks "old lady" fussy and dated.

I know it seems strange since I really enjoy making them but it doesn't really fit in with my contemporary style home to decorate with doilies (not to mention that I am the mother of four sons and don't really go for girlie or frilly stuff). I'd love to find some designs that are more in keeping with that style - in fact I think I may soon try the black doily idea...very intriguing and may be something I will actually display in my home!

A lot of the thread stuff I make is given away as gifts (doilies, coasters, filet pieces, bookmarks etc.), but recently I've gotten into making Crinoline Lady doilies that beg to be shown off. So I mount each one on poster board and display them in a shadowbox - changing the Lady depending on the season or holiday.

I also have a cross and dove filet that I mounted and framed which sits on top of my bookcase.

Flora

My female family members basically have claimed most of the doilies I've made. One daughter has used doilies as kind of shelf trim. We've used a doily as a temporary food (like for bread) or beverage cover. Everyone is using doilies to protect surfaces from scratches or to hide an already damaged surface area. My girls want more coaster type doilies to use under beverage containers to catch condensation. I plan on making a few small doilies for my bathroom countertop to cut down on the noise when you set down glass or metal on the surface. So far, only utility use of doilies because we don't have enough for crafts and fun stuff like that. Some day.

Archived