Regarding Crocheting confused with Knitting

I know alot of you out there get really frustrated :angry when you're crocheting and some dink walks up and says, "What are you knitting?"

Well I thought I'd share my tale: Last night I took my 11yo son to Boy Scouts and he took his knitting with him and the Scoutmaster called across the room to him, "Hey, whatcha crocheting!?" :lol

That is too funny ;)

I do understand out frustration especially as crocheters and being the underdog for so long.

In some ways maybe we need to let people off the hook ;) so to speak. There is a resurgence of knitting and crocheting but it still is so new again to people. Not everyone grows up with it. There are people who don't even know what yarn is!

So I see it as a way to educate people about the fiber arts. We need more crocheters out there:) So if you so inclined inform them. Tell them you will help them learn how if you know them.

My 4 1/2 year old daughter refers to crochet as "yarning". For example, if she's playing in her room, she'll ask me sit on her bed and "do your yarning in here, Mama." I don't know why she calls it "yarning" becasue I never have used that term--maybe it's easier to say than "crocheting." I guess if the term "yarning" could catch on, then no one would ever be accused of using the wrong term for knit or crochet! However, it would pose a problem for those who use plarn, thread, ribbon, etc.

• 1 month later...

I started to get really frustrated once when my brother called my crocheting "knitting," although I started out as a knitter first, and he was used to seeing me knit, or knitting things for his dog or our mother. Buuuut....the entire sentence was:

"You make some really beautiful things with your knitting.", so I let the error slide and accepted his compliment. Now, had that happened outside the family, I might've politely told the person that I was a hooker, and waited to see their reaction.:lol

Archived