Broomstick Lace

I had never heard of Broomstick Lace until someone mentioned it here a couple of weeks ago. I bought a size 35 knitting needle and tried to make a scarf. I think the needle was too small for the yarn... it doesn't look very 'lacy', but the stitch is really easy. It's similar to Tunisian in that each row consists of a forward pass, where you put stitches on the needle, and a return pass, where you take them off.

Now I'm in search of a larger 'something' to use as a needle. Or.. maybe just use finer yarn???

Joan

Broomstick Lace is very easy to do - a little awkward until you get used to holding the large knitting needle. I used a size 50 needle with worsted weight for an adult afghan and a 35 needle with sport weight for a baby afghan. It's a "different" technigue for those that get bored doing the same type of crocheting all the time. AND it comes out very pretty.

I've used a size 50 knitting needle... you can also sometimes find "broomstick pins" but its essentially the same thing. I think the stitch is pretty easy, once you get the hang of it, and it looks awesome!

Because I hold my hook in my left hand and my work in my right as if knitting, I found transfering the loops onto the broomstick a bit tricky, I like the effect but I don't think I will make anything with it as it seemed to take ages to do a row! its very pretty, I have seen a really pretty scarf on here that someone showed.

Because I hold my hook in my left hand and my work in my right as if knitting, I found transfering the loops onto the broomstick a bit tricky, I like the effect but I don't think I will make anything with it as it seemed to take ages to do a row! its very pretty, I have seen a really pretty scarf on here that someone showed.

You can go along faster as you get used to the action of taking the loops off the pin. Dont give up! :cheer

I have seen lots of broomstick lace patterns lately, so I think its gaining in popularity.

Hallo to all!

Sorry for my no perfect english: I have never done works with broomstick lace and now I want to do an adult afghan.

If I use a knitting needle how can I join the strips that I do?...the needle is not so long as a big afghan!!

Thanks for your help!

by

Archived