Not sure which thread size to use

AprilC

I found a dress pattern that I'd love to make for my daughter. It's a vintage pattern though so it isn't really that clear what size thread is called for.

Under materials it calls for:

1 Steel Crochet hook, size 7

4 balls-2-400 yds. Mercerized Cotton or Pearl Cotton.

I can't tell if they mean 4 balls of size 2 thread. Or if that 2 means something else. I'm confused.

Though if the 2 isn't the size of the thread what size thread is most likely used with a size 7 hook?

Oh and the gauge is 10 dc to an inch.

Thanks for any help. :) Here is a link to the pattern too: http://www.******/crochet/lacdre.html

I would agree that it is most likely size 10 thread they are calling for looking at the size hook they are calling for. It is most likely the 2 is a typo. At least you have a gauge to double check and make sure.

There is no such thing as a size 2 thread, It may have been it meant to say 2 ply but that would not be normal.

There is size 20 thread. but it is normally done with a 10 or smaller hook.

Good luck with your project.

It might possibly mean that 2400 yds. total are needed for the dress? I'd say size 10 as well, since it's done with a #7 hook. Perle cotton works up very similar to size 10 from what I've learned here on the board.

Pattern requires size 7 hook, as far as I see from the posts, most of the crocheters are using size 7 hook with size 10 threads.

I made skirt and top for my 5 yearsold daughter with size 5 threads, they worked too.

Demet

Archived