First Square Motif

geneinthebattle

My first contribution here, a pattern from Coats & Clark's Holiday Lights pattern.

HolidayLightscoatsandclark.jpg

I already made 10 squares but realized that it won't really work because I have my squares way too small, only 1 1/2 inch where it's supposed to be 2 1/2 inch to 2 3/4 inch. :thinkI used a smaller size hook because that's the only one I have but I so loved the pattern and plan to redo it again once I get the right tool. :hook

holidaylightsquares.jpg

Look at those chocolate colors! They're so wonderful I want to eat them instead! :lol

:cheer That is a very pretty square.:cheer

Why not just work the last row again and you will add quite a lot to the size of the square.

All you need to do is make sure you work 1 stitch into each DC and maybe just 2DC, CH2, 2DC into each corner instead of the 3DC, CH2, 3DC as on the last row.

It will still look fine and the holes at the corners will create a pattern as you put them together.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

:cheer That is a very pretty square.:cheer

Why not just work the last row again and you will add quite a lot to the size of the square.

All you need to do is make sure you work 1 stitch into each DC and maybe just 2DC, CH2, 2DC into each corner instead of the 3DC, CH2, 3DC as on the last row.

It will still look fine and the holes at the corners will create a pattern as you put them together.

Have fun.

Thanks Colleen! :hug I never thought of that. :eek

I'm afraid of changing/adding something to the pattern because I got it in the internet. Are sure it's okay? :think

Those are great squares. I agree with Colleen to add another row and continue on making your squares. You can change the pattern however you want - make the squares bigger, different colors, you just can't claim it as your design. I change colors and stitches on items all the time - make it your own - have fun with it. Can't wait to see the completed project. Thanks for sharing.

Those are great squares. I agree with Colleen to add another row and continue on making your squares. You can change the pattern however you want - make the squares bigger, different colors, you just can't claim it as your design. I change colors and stitches on items all the time - make it your own - have fun with it. Can't wait to see the completed project. Thanks for sharing.

Wow! :hug Thanks Briana! I will do just that! :clap:cheer

:cheer You can certainly add what you like to a square as long as it keeps the shape of the square increasing at the correct rate to prevent it going frilly of tight.

:hook Because the last row of your square is just increased at the corners, it is very easy to add more rows, in fact you could add as many as you like as long as you keep an eye on the sides to make sure they are staying flat.

The great thing about crochet is, if you try something which does not work, it is very easy to pull it back and try something else so give it a go.

Have fun.

the squares look just fine :) you could also just make more squares to make it a bigger overall project.

patterns can be simple guidelines. you can add and take from them as much as you like. some people think patterns shouldn't be guidelines but strictly adhered to and that's fine as well. but don't feel you cant do something when it comes to crochet as you will only limit your own ability :)

:cheer You can certainly add what you like to a square as long as it keeps the shape of the square increasing at the correct rate to prevent it going frilly of tight.

:hook Because the last row of your square is just increased at the corners, it is very easy to add more rows, in fact you could add as many as you like as long as you keep an eye on the sides to make sure they are staying flat.

The great thing about crochet is, if you try something which does not work, it is very easy to pull it back and try something else so give it a go.

Have fun.

Thanks for the suggestion. I agree, the pattern is actually easy and really made for a beginner. I was able to follow the instructions well and I think I can do what you have said. Thanks so much Coleen, indeed a helpful suggestion! :hug

Great job. I love the chocolate colored squares, yummy!:cheer

Thank you so much! With the suggestions above, I will definitely continue working with it. And I just love the color I just couldn't stop looking at it! If you can only see my desk, the squares are everywhere!

the squares look just fine :) you could also just make more squares to make it a bigger overall project.

patterns can be simple guidelines. you can add and take from them as much as you like. some people think patterns shouldn't be guidelines but strictly adhered to and that's fine as well. but don't feel you cant do something when it comes to crochet as you will only limit your own ability :)

That's very inspiring! I will really have to start reworking on my motif! :hook

+ + +

Also thanks to everyone who gave their suggestions and insights! They really helped me a lot! :manyheart:hug

Smooches to all!:yay

Archived