Round looms

Jadzia

You might want to check this thread out as there is info there.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58789

I started with a set of round looms and loved making hats on them. There are lots of things that can be made on them. In the other thread I posted some links with patterns. I also got the long looms when they came out. I like them because you can do double knit things on them. I have since purchased a couple of wooden looms.

I tried to learn to knit many years ago and could do a swatch but never got anywhere with it. I enjoy my looms. A lot of people that say they can't knit start on the looms and then eventually go on to needle knitting.

I have a set of the different colored plastic looms. I found that I can actualy knit a hat quicker than using a loom. I also found that unless I used 2 strands of yarn, the hat wasn't thick enough. I also didn't like how big the stitches were. Probably a more expensive loom than the ones I used would produce a finer finished product. Just my opinion......

I have a set of the different colored plastic looms. I found that I can actualy knit a hat quicker than using a loom. I also found that unless I used 2 strands of yarn, the hat wasn't thick enough. I also didn't like how big the stitches were. Probably a more expensive loom than the ones I used would produce a finer finished product. Just my opinion......

Hi; thanks, I decided not to get it; I will stick with crochet and leaning knitting in my spare time.:hook

I live really close to the Provo Craft warehouse and i got a full set of the looms for like $5. It does help if you use two strands of yarn on them, but its totally mindless and you can kick out a hat in about a day. They're also good for kids, my 8 year old has been using the knifty knitter for almost 3 years.

heres a list of neat projects you can do with them

http://www.robertscrafts.com/projects/projects.php?dsp=list&prdindex=kniftyknitter

That is how I got interested in knitting. I started with the looms and they are very easy to use and you can make a hat or scarf very quickly. But once I got bored with all the scarves and hats I wanted to make things in different gauge and the round looms are all very large gauge. But it definitely is fun to do. But it was a great stepping off point for regular knitting.

Patricia

Golden CO

I just bought the set of 4 looms because they were on sale!

Here's a link to the post of my first finished project. So far, it's very easy, but the round loom makes it hard to decrease the crown - the closing method is called "gather", which makes it bunch up a bit. I prefer the fitted look, myself.

Looking around the Internet, I found info about the rectangular ones, which (I think) have more flexibility in increasing and decreasing.

Oh well, it's very easy, I don't really consider it knitting, although they call the stitches knit and purl. It was fun, but I think I'd like to increase my very basic knitting skills instead of using this method much.

• 1 month later...

Archived