Granny Square.

catwoman

Question

Hi.I'am trying to make a granny square but i'am stuck at these directions.

It says ''join with sl st in 3rd chain of beg ch-3.''

and in another round it says''join with a sl st in 3rd chain of beg ch-5''.I don't get it.:thinkI need help.

6 answers to this question

Hi

Do you know what a sl st is? sl st means slip stitch and ch means chain. Do you know how to make a slip stitch? If not, I don't think I'm the one to explain how to do that. I am not good at explaining how to form a stitch but I'm sure someone here can tell you.

Join with a slip stitch (sl st) in 3rd chain (ch) of beginning chain (ch) 3 means that you must join the rounds by making a slip stitch into the top of the chain 3 you made at the beginning of the round. Do not make a slip stitch into the first double crochet but in the top of the prior stitch which is your chain 3. You will need to do this on every row.

Unless the 'join with a sl st in 3rd ch of ch5' is a typo, the chain 5 would be a (dc, ch2): three of the 5 chains count as 1dc. The other two would count as a ch2 space.

If the round below starts with a ch5, it's not a typo, but the dc, ch2 space.

Sally

If you are doing a granny for the first time you might try this pattern. It's the one they taught us in class. It was much esier for me than the patterns I was trying to use on my own. Now that I have it down and understand I can progress on to harder ones hopefully. Mary

http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/free/granny_squares/f101001_basicgranny.shtml

Grannies can be really confusing at first!

The corners on your square are probably worked with (3 dc, 3 chs, 3 dc) all worked in one st or sp to turn the corner.

On the first corner of the rnd, you need to raise the yarn high enough to make the dc sts, and to do this you work a ch 3 to start, and this ch-3 represents the first dc. After this first corner, your yarn is already high enough, so the next 3 corners can be worked with (3 dc, 3 chs, 3 dc).

Now as to the "join in 3rd ch of beg ch-5". This round is probably worked

"dc, ch 2" around. So to start it you once again need to ch 3 to raise the yarn to the correct height, then add 2 more chains for the first ch-2 sp; that gives you a ch-5 to start.

When you have worked around and it is time to join, remember that the ch-5 represents a dc and a ch-2 sp. So if you join with a sl st in the 3rd ch of the beg ch-3, that is the same as joining in a dc. When you do this, you will see that the remaining 2 chs of the beg ch-5 now form a nice ch-2 sp.

I hope this helps.

Jean

Archived