What do you think....

suzidemars

I have been wanting for a long time to start an heirloom Christmas tree skirt on linen with cross-stitch, adding a few new little meaningful things each year. Now that I've picked up thread crochet:hook , I thought it would look beautiful to crochet a lacey border around the whole edge. So..... any thoughts on where I would find nice border patterns, and would it even work?:think I'm not sure if even a small steel hook would stab into the tiny linen squares. I could do it on Aida but I like the look of linen for special projects. Any thoughts?

Yes that is a great idea and it would work fine. Depending on the size of the hook you are using you may be able to make the holes with the hook. But most likely you need to use a tapestry needle to make the holes ahead of time.

(There is some kind of gizmo advertised on this site that is used for that purpose but I have never used it, maybe someone else can tell you about it.)

There are edging and border designs galore that are available almost anywhere you look. You can try finding free online patterns, but in craft stores you can find books, magazines and leaflets with edging designs. On Ebay you can find tons of patterns as well (Look for old Magic Crochet or Decorative Crochet mags). Even an all purpose crochet manual like "The Harmony Guide to Crochet Stitches" has many variations of edgings and borders that you can adapt to any design.

If you can't find exactly what you're looking for, let us know. Lots of us have stashes of patterns that we can share. Good luck...LL

I'd stay away from cutting holes, that technique is better for suited for fleece and yarn, not linen and thread edging IMHO.

The EASIEST thing to do would be to make the edging separately and sew it on. That way you don't have the skirt flapping around you all the time. Also, some edgings work lengthwise, not in rounds, so you'd have to make them this way.

I've found the NEXT easier technique is to use your crochet thread to embroider a blanket stitch around the (already hemmed up) edge of the project, and crochet your edging to the blanket stitch. I think it comes out neater, for me anyway, and you don't have to mess with working with 2 tools (tapestry needle and hook) in each stitch of the first round.

Good luck!

Well here's what I've come up with. I found this edging

http://crochet.about.com/library/nribbon_edging.htm

and I'm going to weave in some red and green satin ribbon, and I think just sew it on to the hemmed piece. Sounds the easiest way to get it done with my lack of experience. Now to figure out how to cut an even circle out of the linen, but I suppose I could just use an existing skirt for a pattern. I'm so excited! I need to finish my other people things first though.... maybe next year.

Good choice. This is a similar edging I made years ago which I sewed to the bottom of a shade. One advantage of crocheting the edging separately and then sewing it on is that you can remove the edging later if you want to. In the case of your heirloom skirt that probably won't be an issue but on linens or items that wear out, that is something to consider.

ribbonedging.jpg

That is BEAUTIFUL!!!! That was a little more like what I was looking for, but I stopped with the one I have because the kids got up and it got too noisy in here to keep looking!

I will point out that there are two different kinds of edgings that you can crochet to sew onto your project:

1. Worked lengthwise. That is to say that you figure out your length ahead of time - and your pattern repeat - then start with a foundation chain and work the piece in rows the entire length of the pattern. The length therefore cannot be adjusted. Also keep in mind that the foundation chain will "shrink up" by a certain percent so you cannot simply chain to the length you want, but you must figure out your gauge and calculate accordingly.

2. You can work an edging widthwise which are shorter rows back and forth until you reach the desired length. This is a particular advantage if you don't know the EXACT length you need. In the case of a circular piece like a tree skirt it is very difficult to calculate your exact measurement taking into account the ease for the curvature. I would strongly suggest then that you consider this type of edging so you literally won't "come up short" by making an edging of a fixed length. Also, you can adjust it along the way to accommodate the curved edge as necessary.

I have crocheted edging into to linen many times. It is very easy to poke that needle through linen as it is a loose weave fabric. I normal poke the needle through catch the thread and do a sc, ch 1, and repeat around. Then you can work your edging into that. There are so many ways to do this. I hope you find one that works well for you. There are so many beautiful edgings out there it will be hard to choose.

Since this is Christmas themed how about bells

http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa022302.htm

check out more edgings here.

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/edgings.php

Those bells are really nice too. I am horrible with decisions I want to make them all! Ever feel like your life could never be long enough to make everything you want to make? I have cross-stitch patterns from 10 years ago when I learned that sittting around waiting for me to get over my new yarn addictions!

Archived