I need to talk this over with other designers...please

stormy

Question

I have just received an offer to custom design two toy patterns for an organic store/company's new children's line they have planned.

I was contacted through my etsy shop...I replied back to say I was interested if indeed they were looking for crocheted pattern and not sewing patterns. ( I haven't received an answer yet...I just sent the email)

But I have no idea of what I should charge per pattern in this situation. :think If they want the designs I come up with they will mass produce them and that is something that needs to be taken into consideration.

Also, any other things I should know before hand...I have never had an offer like this before.

Anyone have thoughts on this...reply here or through PM is fine.

8 answers to this question

Not that I've ever been in that situation (congratulations!!!), but I would think: charge more than a magazine would pay for a pattern. Or at least as much as a top-paying magazine would pay.

If they want ALL rights (as in you couldn't sell the pattern yourself ever) I'd charge more.

Hopefully you let us know what happens next!

Sally

I would suggest waiting for them to make an offer or tell you their standard, and take it from there. Many companies have a range or going rate, and if you start too low (which sadly, many of us indie designers tend to do!), you are kind of stuck...

also, take into consideration what rights they are buying:)

Congratulations on getting this opportunity!

I just had a thought... I don't know if anyone whose patterns are mass-produced actually DOES this, but I was wondering if it's possible to negotiate for a percentage of each sale, instead of just a one-off price. I know that's how it works in some other fields, e.g. book authors, recording artists receive royalties on each unit sold, in addition to the upfront payment.

Just thought I'd put that idea out there... I don't know if anyone does it this way, but I know that would be how I'd prefer to do it - if they end up selling 10 million toys based on your patterns and you'd been paid a one-off fee I bet you'd be wishing you were receiving royalties!

Thanks everyone! You have given me much to consider. Even if it doesn't go through it is still a good subject to us designers to ponder just in case more offers happen to come in.

Will let you know if I hear anything back about the offer. :)

Archived