When changing to a new ball of yarn...

karcher70

Question

When changing to a new ball of yarn in the middle of a project, do you just knot the ends and keep going, or fasten off and reattach with the new ball?

I've only had one project that actually required me to change a ball of yarn, but this is something I've been wondering about! :blush

9 answers to this question

I think my original question isn't very clear.

Lets say I have two balls of pink yarn. I get to the end of the first pink ball. Do I knot the end of the strand of the first ball with the strand of the second pink ball, and keep going? Or should I fasten off competely and restart with the second ball?

I tie the two together and keep going, then crochet over my ends. So no, I don't think you should fasten off and start over. Just make sure you keep about 4 in worth of yarn on both sides of the knot so that when you weave it in it doesn't come out.

I personally never knot my ends together because I don't want there to be lumps in my project. I just start the new ball of yarn in the middle of a stitch. Say if you were doing a dc, I would yarn over, insert my hook into the loop, attach yarn from new ball (as a yarn over), and pull through, then complete your stitch as you normally would. After you have done a few rows, go ahead and weave in your ends. Be sure to leave at least 5-6" for each tail. :)

I personally never knot my ends together because I don't want there to be lumps in my project. I just start the new ball of yarn in the middle of a stitch. Say if you were doing a dc, I would yarn over, insert my hook into the loop, attach yarn from new ball (as a yarn over), and pull through, then complete your stitch as you normally would. After you have done a few rows, go ahead and weave in your ends. Be sure to leave at least 5-6" for each tail. :)

Thanks! I didn't even think to do it in the middle of a stitch like that!

This is exactly what I do!

Archived