Crocheted lunch box/bag lining?

eebrs

Question

Has anyone crocheted a lunch box/bag? DS just started preschool and decided that he needs something to put his lunch in. He doesn't even stay for lunch yet! :lol He also believes that crocheting can solve any problem and so he suggested that I crochet him a lunch box.

I already have an idea for it, since DS was pretty specific in his request (Elmo and a snap closure -he even told me what colors to use on Elmo). But I'm stuck on the liner. Most lunch bags are somewhat insulated and I'm not sure how to do that with a crocheted item. :think

Has anyone tried this? What would I use for a liner? Would I be better off buying a cheap one at the store?

7 answers to this question

Maybe you could buy one of the insulated lunch bags from Walmart, don't think they are too expensive. Then crochet a cover for it somehow. Mary

This is a great idea because you definitely want the insulation properties! And then use Velcro tabs to keep the "liner" in the crocheted Elmo "body." With the tabs, you can wash the liner and body separately whenever you need to.

BTW - be careful where you buy the actual insulated lunch bag itself. I say this because the folks at Consumer Reports write that the ones from the Dollar-type stores sometimes contain lead.

I don't think that most "insulated" lunch bags really do that good a job of keeping things cold. I sure wouldn't rely on them if I had meat or egg products to keep cold unless there was frozen gel pack in there to keep the temperature down. So unless you plan to really rely on the thing to keep food actually cold just line it with vinyl fabric to make it spill-proof and easy to wipe out.

You can actually buy insulated fabric if you do want it insulated. Probably most big fabric stores would have it. They sell it for making oven mitts etc.

I would layer batting in between the cocheted (outside) part and the lining part. If there are holes from the crocheted stitches, then you would want to baste your crocheted piece to a piece of fabric before sandwiching the batting in between the two layers. I think you have a great idea and would love to see the end result. I bet it will come out great.

Archived