Anyone ever crochet a baby afghan with

Thread????

I did make the round ripple in crochet thread and I love it.......

I am not making a doily with sewing thread sooooooo

What do you think of a baby afghan out of crochet thread??? I just ordered 31 balls of variegated (pastels) of crochet thread from Herrshners and am thinking about making my niece a baby blanket/afghan out of it.......what pattern do you think??? I don't want to do a RR, but am thinking of a shell stitch...... Any ideas????? Anyone ever done it??? Pics????

I have a book All American Crochet Afghans that has a baby blanket done in #10 thread two strands held together with an F hook. I would think that any pattern would work out especially if you hold two strands together. Hope this helps.

I've never crocheted in thread so I have to ask.... didn't that RR take short of forever to make? Will you post a pic plz? I'd love to see it!!!

The RR really didn't take me that long, it was trying to find the thread, I ran out and so had to find more......Here is a pix, finished

th_IM001694.jpg

th_IM001589.jpg

I came out 51" across and I love it!!!

Is thread washable? If not, it might not be such a good idea for a baby afghan.

Yeap, it is 100% cotton.....washes beautifully

I am going to do single thread, size 10 size 7 hook and do it in the shell pattern, unless I get it started and don't like the look......my thread is ordered, 31 balls, and hopefully will be home when I get home:cheer :cheer

Vonnie, I have also been thinking of making a thread baby afghan. I also don't want to make it a RR. I haven't decided which pattern I want to make it in. I will be keeping an eye out for what you make. Keep me posted on how it goes, please.

I made a baby blanket out of thread for my first DD. I used a pattern from a sampler afghan book and worked the squares in thread.

My DD was born in June in South Texas.:eek Let me tell you it was the perfect baby blanket for her. Light and lacy but just enough weight to snuggle under.

My only regret is that I made it rather small. It worked well for a newborn and in her crib, but not so well when she got older. She used it to wrap her dolls in and now I use it as a topper for a bureau in our bedroom.

It did shrink a little with the first wash but none since then. It still looks nice and now I'm thinking I should make another.

See what you started?

Michelle in Southern AZ

So do you think it would be better to make it a lacy/open pattern or a tighter weaved pattern, such as a round ripple, but I don't want to do a round ripple. I have been looking through my books and haven;t found one that jumps out at me, yet??? I want this to be her dress up blanket, the one that she uses when she takes the baby to church type thing.....also big problem here, we won't know what sex the baby will be, they aren't finding out, preferring to find out when it arrives.....so need to have sort of a unisex not to lacy or to frilly in case it is a boy.....ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED

I think the idea of using a shell pattern would be great. If you used a neutral or unisex color it would be good for a boy or a girl.

Whether you want lacy or a more solid appearance would depend on you. Either would look good and if you used a larger hook than normal the solid pattern would drap just as nicely as a lacy pattern.

I used the Fan trellis pattern from 63 Easy to Crochet Stitches #555 from Leisure Arts. I made squares and crocheted them together, but I think an all over pattern would look better. I used ecru as that is what I had on hand.

I am looking forward to seeing what you decide to do and how it turns out.

Michelle in Southern AZ

Archived