Teaching

Taught yourself to crochet with the other hand?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Taught yourself to crochet with the other hand?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but quit
    • Yes and was successful

I was just curious, but how many people have taught themselves to crochet with their non-dominant hand? I tried it and I found it extremely difficult. I am a lefty, since 90 percent of the population isn't I thought that it would be a good idea to teach myself right handed. I got to the single crochet and quit though, haha.

Nope.. not I i am a right and would stay that way.. Although my grandmother is a lefty she learned how to crochet right handed, although she does things some consider wrong, her projects still come out just as beautiful.. I say don't force it, try crocheting left handed.. also crochet for dummies has great pics for leftys.

I'm right handed and have never tried left handed. I taught my mother, who is left handed, to crochet by having her sit face to face with me, so that her left hand mirrored my right hand. She learned pretty quickly but lost interest after a few months.

My grandma told my mom that she would only teach her if she did it right-handed. She was a lefty. Grandma eventually gave in and taught her to do it with her left hand!

I've thought about switching hands to avoid over-doing it. I get some wrist pain and hate having to lay down the hook. It would be nice to be able to trade off hands!

I had a student who was a leftie....she watched me, then tried right-handed until she thought she had the movements about right. Then, she switched to her left hand and went to town! I switched to leftie, and could chain and single crochet, but that was where I stopped. I know I can do it now!!

Lefty here too. My aunt sent me a book (can't remember the name of it) that showed all the stitches for left and right handed people. That helped a lot!

Archived