sport-weight cotton yarn?

happy stitcher

Question

Does anybody know who makes a sport-weight cotton yarn?

I want to make this:

http://www.maggiescrochet.com/pages/Baby/PA841_summer_rose_halter_set_main.htm

But it calls for a sport-weight cotton yarn, and I can't find that....

I thought about using Lion's Cotton-ease, to help reduce any shrinking and possible pilling, but it's worsted weight, also.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!! :hug

12 answers to this question

Would a dk weight, like Plymouth Wildflower DK, work?

Maybe - but I really don't know!

Any idea who makes a DK cotton yarn?

I found a place on line (I won't menion names, LOL!) that sells a sport weight cotton yarn, but it's $5.25 for 1.75 ounces! That's just too much for my little budget, and it would make that outfit ridiculously expensive.

Now I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should stop trying to find the correct yarn and just use regular cotton medium weight or a lighter acrylic sport weight instead.

Any thoughts?

I want to make two of these outfits, and the cost of the sport weight cotton I've found is just too high. :no

Plymouth Wildflower Yarn is very lovely yarn with a great drape.

Reynolds Saucy also makes a cotton yarn that would work and Sinfonia I think is a good choices as well. These both are mercerized so also have a lovely sheen to them. The Wildflower is an acrylic/cotton blend.

Reynolds Saucy also makes a cotton yarn that would work and Sinfonia I think is a good choices as well. These both are mercerized so also have a lovely sheen to them. The Wildflower is an acrylic/cotton blend.

Thanks! I looked up the Sinfonia, and found it's sold at Hobby Lobby, so I'll have to plan a trip there to check it out. It looks pretty online!

Thanks! I looked up the Sinfonia, and found it's sold at Hobby Lobby, so I'll have to plan a trip there to check it out. It looks pretty online!

-------

I love Sinfonia, and you get a lot in each skein. the colors are wonderful, too.

Me again! ;)

Is tatting thread (size 80) the same as sport-weight?? I've come across a lot of that.... :think

Tatting thread (size 80) makes normal sewing thread look heavy. Sport weight, it ain't. The thing to remember with threads is that the higher the size number, the finer the thread. I'm doing a doily in size 3 thread that was designed for size 10. It's gonna be huge, but at the time I started it, I needed a huge doily. I don't anymore, but I'm gonna finish it out of pure stubbornness.

It looks like other folks have pointed you at sport weight cotton, so I'll leave you to them.

Archived