Questions From A Novice

Hopefully this is in the right place.

First, what stitch is this (sorry I cant explain this they way patterns can)? I wrap my yarn over once (toward me), go in the hole, pull the yarn through, wrap over again (away from me), take off the second loop, wrap over again (away from me), take off the middle two loops, wrap over again (away from me), take off the last two loops.

I'm just curious, it's not a single, double, half-double, or triple. I really have no clue of where I got the idea from, it's just what was easier for me. I haven't seen any stitch that resembles it. It looks okay, but maybe it's something I just made up over time. I wish I had a picture.

Second, are there any good resources for (I think) Granny Squares? I see a lot of pretty projects with various squares stitched together, sometimes the squares have stars and stuff in them. But, when I try to make them, they look funny! :think Resources on how to make ripples would be helpful too.

I have looked, but most resources really don't "break it down" for a beginner. Thanks a bunch :P

There are many books at JoAnns or Michaels for beginning granny squares. You should look for one that has pictures that you can follow. I make lots of granny squares, too bad you don't live near Dallas, Texas, I could show you in person. Maybe if you visit a local yarn store they would show you a few things, or take a class at JoAnns or Michaels in beginning crochet. Good luck!! :hook

I don't know of any stitches in which you wrap the yarn over AWAY from you.

Jean Leinhauser

I tried to do this as she described, but just couldn't do it, so I just YO the way I do it so I could get the gist of her stitch description.

Archived