Ideas and suggestions please

Hello,

This may seem an odd request but why not since this is such a wonderful bunch. I am a professor of economics and part of my job requires that I do research and write papers that will be published in scholarly journals. I am always looking for new ideas and novel topics that others have not yet done. So I would love to do some research and write a paper on "The Economics of Crocheting". But what exactly to write and what research question to pose is my dilema :think . I am wondering if people in this great group have suggestions or ideas for me to think over. The key thing is always "Who cares?" Well we all know and understand the importance of our craft but what about it might be compelling to others (particularily the editor and reviewers at any journal I may consider)?

Thanks in advance :hug

One topic that I have seen come up is the difference in value that crocheters/crafters assign a handmade object compared to those who don't crochet/craft. Example: I'm sorking on a stole and figured out that I have put 22 hours into it (and it's not even half done). Multiply that by minimum wage and it's worth over $100. I don't know many people that would spend that much on an item like that. With WalMart to compete with, actual marketable value and percieved value of home made items will always be quite different. Others may not be as interested in this, but I find it interesting.

Since "Economics is the social science that studies the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services" (wikipedia), how about the topic of crafters who selflessly donate their time and resources to produce things for the less fortunate, for Project Linus, retirement homes, hospitals and such. Perhaps more social than science, but it might be interesting.

Don't know if this is applicable, but I have twice lately come across references to crochet being a form of meditation. That is calming and good for the heart. I have felt this way, but until recently have not seen it mentioned. The health benefits of crochet are noticeable. Clunk! Just throwing that thought into the ring.

Glenda

how about advocating for the trickle-UP theory of economics ....

I live in Vermont and see sheep grazing in the fields ... they eat the grasses that can't be hayed because the terrain is too rocky/hilly ... they provide not only a delicious meat source but until then give us wool.

I know people who spin wool, using real wheels 100+ years old that had been hand-made from local woods. The spun wool is sold as is to dyers.

The dyers around here use dyes they have made themselves from locally grown berries and barks and other assorted botanicals. They then sell the dyed yarn to knitters and crocheters and weavers who specialize in pure wool.

The yarn workers make beautiful clothing, rugs, decorations and accessories which are sold in local shows, stands, and stores ... and now online as well.

Now you tell me what form of economics can be any better than that!!!! It made North America strong economically once and it could again if we only looked at WalMarts and other box stores, touched our noses with one thumb, and waved with the other 4 fingers while doing so.:lol

One topic that I have seen come up is the difference in value that crocheters/crafters assign a handmade object compared to those who don't crochet/craft. Example: I'm sorking on a stole and figured out that I have put 22 hours into it (and it's not even half done). Multiply that by minimum wage and it's worth over $100. I don't know many people that would spend that much on an item like that. With WalMart to compete with, actual marketable value and percieved value of home made items will always be quite different. Others may not be as interested in this, but I find it interesting.

Excellent idea! I think that I may try to design an online survey that will show images of tow or three items (from a box store, a boutique and homemade) to see what individuals would be willing to pay for each. First see if they would assign different values to each not knowing where they came froma nd then seeing how the values may differ in each (particularity for the homemade - once without knowing the cost of yarn and labor and second with knowing this cost).

:hug I think I have paper number one starting!!!

Thanks! :manyheart

Since "Economics is the social science that studies the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services" (wikipedia), how about the topic of crafters who selflessly donate their time and resources to produce things for the less fortunate, for Project Linus, retirement homes, hospitals and such. Perhaps more social than science, but it might be interesting.

WOW Here is paper number two :hug The altruistic behaviour is fascinating! I am going to start thinking about how to make a good estimate of the economic benefit of this - maybe by getting people (perhaps here??) to make some estimates of the costs incurred by themseleves int doing this (the cost of supplies and their perceived cost of labor). :think I need to keep thinking about this :yes

Don't know if this is applicable, but I have twice lately come across references to crochet being a form of meditation. That is calming and good for the heart. I have felt this way, but until recently have not seen it mentioned. The health benefits of crochet are noticeable. Clunk! Just throwing that thought into the ring.

Glenda

OHHHH now that really throws a monkey wrench into the whole mix. Do you know what the most ironic thing is: my two areas within economics specializations are labor economics and health economics :yay And here you are mixing them together for me :hug I was actually just thinking about the side benefit of doing crocheting for charity (or for other reasons) as being therapeutic and wondering how to actually measure or quantify that benefit. Perhaps cost of seeing a therapist that don't have to be paid??

Neat idea!! Thanks:manyheart

I just completed a dishcloth using variegated crochet thread in my kitchen color scheme ... so for a really sturdy (all done in front and back posting) cloth about 5 x 8 I spent two entire evenings ... not economic but I simply WANTED to make my own. There's no value that can be placed on that ... like wanting to crochet a set of booties I could easily buy ...

This reminds me of the annual stats about the actual "worth" of a housewife ... if you were to pay for the work being done ... isn't it up around 100 grand a year by now?!

how about advocating for the trickle-UP theory of economics ....

I live in Vermont and see sheep grazing in the fields ... they eat the grasses that can't be hayed because the terrain is too rocky/hilly ... they provide not only a delicious meat source but until then give us wool.

I know people who spin wool, using real wheels 100+ years old that had been hand-made from local woods. The spun wool is sold as is to dyers.

The dyers around here use dyes they have made themselves from locally grown berries and barks and other assorted botanicals. They then sell the dyed yarn to knitters and crocheters and weavers who specialize in pure wool.

The yarn workers make beautiful clothing, rugs, decorations and accessories which are sold in local shows, stands, and stores ... and now online as well.

Now you tell me what form of economics can be any better than that!!!! It made North America strong economically once and it could again if we only looked at WalMarts and other box stores, touched our noses with one thumb, and waved with the other 4 fingers while doing so.:lol

AMEN :hug That is such a great example of how an economy can work and be so interconnected

makes me think of the opportunity cost of the time I spend crocheting rather than spending more time preparing for my job! :D Those poor students are being deprived since I'm not writing lesson plans, but making a dishcloth instead!

But since it is also a mental health issue (both meditative and an avoidance mechanism), the costs may go up or down. What about the economics of addiction? :)

Okay, I've blathered on long enough. :)

Wow! We've got some really bright people on this board. I read the original post this morning and hadn't a clue. (Then again, I spent most of my college career avoiding papers if at all possible... I can, and enjoy writing, but not 'book' research papers... ugh!)

You could somehow do a study on the affect of the 'big box stores' on the LYS population and the percieved value of 'specialty' yarns vs. good old red heart... :shrug

makes me think of the opportunity cost of the time I spend crocheting rather than spending more time preparing for my job! :D Those poor students are being deprived since I'm not writing lesson plans, but making a dishcloth instead!

But since it is also a mental health issue (both meditative and an avoidance mechanism), the costs may go up or down. What about the economics of addiction? :)

Okay, I've blathered on long enough. :)

Economics of addiction to the 'ville :lol See I think I have actually come up with a justifiable reason to be here reading (over and above the great company and ideas and everything!)

Archived