How do you crochet with beads???

raine

:think :think :eek :eek ok... I'm feeling a tad "special" :think:scrachin :blink because I have not figured out how to crochet with beads. Do you thread and then crochet??:shrug ok... how?? :thair:rant I've been thinking about this for some time now and am just now asking for triple step by triple step slooowwww instructions...uuuhhh can anyone help me out?? THE END :compute

Hoping to crochet with beads soon! :knit

Thanks!!

:ty

You usually thread your beads first. It would help to know what you want to crochet. Are you using the beads as embellishments? or are you making jewelry(like an endless bracelet)? www.beadcrochet.com is a place to start for a bracelet. www.beadwrangler.com is another one. If you are using it to embellish an item then you would still want them to be strung on first and add them to your piece as you want. You usually bring the bead up to the stitch being done and then you would make your stitch locking your bead into that stitch so it does'nt move. I'm sorry I can't be clearer. Someone just made a scarf with beads, check in the "Show and Tell" thread to see who it was and perhaps they can assist you. It is on page 3 in the show and tell thread, the tenth message down. A beautiful beaded scarf. There are other bead crochet items under show and tell also. Check them out! Hope they help. I crochet bracelets with beads, it takes a while to get the hang of it, but its beautiful once you get going.

Lisa

I recently made a scarf with beads, and it was my first project with them. It was the lacy bead scarf in the Better Homes and Garden's Simply Creative Crochet, and it was very easy. They also have a good article on crocheting with beads.

For the scarf itself, the beads are added as you go. The beads for the fringe are strung on after the scarf is made.

You can see a photo of the scarf here.

Vera

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi! That bewildered me for a while, and I used to mistakenly place my beads in my chain sts, and of course they didn't stand out. The way I do it is I crochet all sc and even if the pattern calls for dc or hdc ad in the case of a pinwheel, I do it all in sc and count the rows (2 for 1 hdc row or 3 for 1 dc row) and do the chs in between the spins of the pinwheel as usual, the beading is like this, you insert all your beads into your thread using a needle of appropriate size before you start your work, then you start, the side facing you is the wrong side even though it might be the one that has the sc on the right side, when you come to the spot where you are supposed to add a bead, you insert the hook normally as if to make another sc, but before you close the stitch, you pull 1 bead up and then close the stitch securing the bead in place as you do. The beading will be in the wrong side of the crochet, but it will look beautiful if it has a pretty pattern, like a flower or a picture from a filet crochet chart, etc.

Hope this helps! ;)

Cloty

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

If your using yarn use bigger beads that will go on the yarn. Put all the beads on first. then crochet away, and when your ready to place a bead slide it down where you want it to go. and yes the beads ususlaly will pop to the back side.

If your crocheting Beads with thread, you must use a big eye needle, string all your beads on first. crochet away and push up beads as you need them.

Here are examples what I have done with beads in my crochet work.

http://goodtimes.webshots.com/photo/2357379830101035607dNNOqO

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/sunnywolfgar/MOMDoily025.jpg

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/18610546

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery.fcgi?p=12&gid=18097739

also look at the Heart doily in Photobucket.

But after practice you will learn to make them stay on the front side. so many ways to make them stay on front side. It just depends on where in the stitch you want your bead.

Hope this will help you all...

sunnywolfgar

***later today I will have the pictures up of the snowflakes with swarovaski beads. Not done with the Snowflake Doily also with swarovaski beads.

I recently made a scarf with beads, and it was my first project with them. It was the lacy bead scarf in the Better Homes and Garden's Simply Creative Crochet, and it was very easy. They also have a good article on crocheting with beads.

For the scarf itself, the beads are added as you go. The beads for the fringe are strung on after the scarf is made.

You can see a photo of the scarf here.

Vera

That is a beautiful scarf! Any chance that's a pattern I could find at my library? I think it'd make a beautiful shawl! (And I've been searching for a pattern I like. I'm going to cover my bases and PM you too :D

There's a beaded wrap pattern on DIY that actually was probably easier than pre-stringing (the name is either beaded wrap or beaded shawl). Anyway, say you want to add a bead to a sl st. Do the sl st, remove the hook, take a small hook, like a thread hook, put the bead on the hook, then pull the yarn loop through the bead. Works well and it's better to me because then you don't have to worry about running out of yarn while pre-beaded or running out of beads.

• 3 months later...

Archived