Ever try lining the back of an afghan like a quilt?

...I really wasn't sure how to title this to get a good response...I'm making my a giant scrap granny square for my 9 year old nephew. I read a couple of posts here where boys that age seemed to prefer the random colors like that. Anyway...I also thought of the fact that "guys" seem to have issues with the "holes" that crochet creates. Women would be inclined to refer to it as lacy...anyway....I was thinking we line purses...why couldn't I swe a full size top sheet to the back of it...and make it like a quilt. What do you all think? Have you heard or seen this before?:think

I'd love some links if you know of them...I'm REALLY bad with a sewing machine, but both of my parents are pro's with the sewing machine, so I can get some help...what do you think?

I'm no sewer, but I don't think I'd do that. I think I'd just use a tapestry needle and yarn and in the center of every granny square I'd sew through and tie it together, you know how they used to do that with quilts? I think that would hold it together nicely, and then maybe just whipstitch the edges, or make more ties, or, yeah, something like that!

YES...YES...thats exactly what I was aiming for! Perfect...no sewing machines..yes, I think when I FINALY finish the afghan I will try it...if it doesn't work...I just frog that part. No loss.

Thank you!

Iam making a afghan for my Dad's king size bed and plan on buying a flat sheet and using that as a backing. Most proberly use blanket stitch and add a little border around the edge too.

Rox

I have made several afghans an backed them, if the backing is done correctly you won't loose the drape and flow of the afghan. I have used baby flannel and fleece...makes for a very warm blanket.

I just saw this in a book for the first time. In Essential Crochet by Erika Knight on page 110 she has a "Daisy-chain Crib Blanket". It is 50 by 35 inches. After blocking she pins and bastes the fabric to the back side with a seam allowance turned under (I guess you wouldn't need that if you used fleece?). Then she just whip stitches the two together. The blanket has a nice picot edging in a different color that sticks out past the backing which makes both sides look very nice.

There were many other nice projects in this book. Check it out of your library like I did!

Hi Sherry,

I have always lined my afghans and baby blankets. I made one with 10 inch granny squares and joined to make a double bed sized cover.( As I live in a hot climate place there is no way we can use it as an afghan but the acrylic yarn has such pretty colours)Then I took one doublebed cover in fine cotton and just lined the crocheted one using fine hem to secure it. I wish I had some photos to post. But go ahead and do it. It makes the afghan warmer.

Archived