Beads, Welts and Popcorns Felted Tote CAL anyone??

Shawnee/OR

I just posted my creation in Show-n-Tell but realized this would be a really fun Crochet-Along.

The bag pattern is modeled after the popular knitted pattern B4 Bag (lots of pictures on this link) but Suzie the crochet pattern designer did a wonderful job with a look-alike. The welts are done by slip-stitching to previous rows, and then the real magic happens in the washer. The pattern is a felted crochet Beads, Welts and Popcorns Bag.

This was an easier project that it looks, even with the beads, and I think would be a fun CAL as we head into fall. Anyone interested in joining me as I make one to keep this time? I can imagine so many different color combinations that would be gorgeous!

Shawnee

Before Felting:

901581199_df952d9e50_m.jpg

After Blocking on popcorn tin/Closeup of beading:

902077074_b130bbaefa_m.jpg902077088_af0df7e018_m.jpg

your bag looks great. i can't join as i can't use wool in case dd is allergic. i just wanted to say how good your bag looks and how cool the welts look. i saw a pattern for a scarf or something somewhere that they tied marbles into the piece and then felted. after felting the marbles were removed and left the same kind of effects. they called it "resist" or something and used all different sizes for a very bubbly bumpy piece. i like felting. cant wait til dd leaves home lol (yeah... she's 4 :rofl)

Ooh, this is tempting. I really love the bag and I've never tried felting before. I have so many projects going right now and several are b-day or Xmas gifts that have to get done on time. Maybe if I can get one of those finished up I can jump in here with ya.

I'm in Shawnee!!! I'm making felted bags for Christmas, and this is a great one!!

I already have some Shaeffer wool......do you think wooden beads would work as well as the glass ones?

I have the pattern and will go pick out some wool and beads tomorrow. I've never bought wool before, is there any particular brand or type that I should look for? I really know nothing about wool yarn, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cherry

I have the pattern and will go pick out some wool and beads tomorrow. I've never bought wool before, is there any particular brand or type that I should look for? I really know nothing about wool yarn, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cherry

Cherry did you get your wool i bought patons Classic Wool its 100% wool i do know that wool blends sometimes don't felt but this is only the 2nd time i have felted anything. the first time i used patons classic and it worked well thought i would stick with it. I am doing mine all blue. Hope it looks ok with one color. I hope I am doing this right it looks awful loose!

Okay, I still don't have my wool or beads:P - events beyond my control. I couldn't wait to start this pattern though, so I've been using acrylic and it's really cute. I'm going to try and get to the LYS this coming week. As cute as this purse is in acrylic, I know it will be fabulous felted.

Cherry

I think wood or pony beads will work as well as the jet recommended in the pattern. They just have to able to stand up to the hot water for felting, so maybe treated wood is best.

I'm really excited to make this bag again. In the newest magazine called Felt, the bag this one is modeled off of (B4Bag) is shown make out of Karaoke, which is 50% soysilk and 50% wool in rainbow colors on page 63 ... and it's GORGEOUS!

1089008992_b65ea3c7c3_m.jpg

I have to drop out of this CAL. I went to the local HL craft store today to get some wool for this project. The selection was pitiful and expensive. I did make this bag out of acrylic (in hot pink and black with black beads). It was really fun to make and once I line the bag I think it will be great.

I'm going to get some wool (will have to order online), but I hate to keep hanging on here until it arrives. Perhaps I'll jump in once I have some wool. (Especially once I get to the felting part.)

Thanks for understanding, Cherry

No need to officially drop out ... we're a small group. Please post of a picture of your non-felted bag when you can. It sounds lovely. I'm still scouting around for a good source of Karaoke yarn - the designer wrote the she used colorway #306 and I can't wait to try it on this pattern. I may even add buttons!

Well here it is, and did it ever felt, way too small for me, but it was my first felting. so now i know that my machine really really felts good. You can't see the inside cause its still drying, but it has 3 pockets inside, really small pockets LOL :rofl! It didnt shrink in length as much as it shrunk in width. Before i felted it my son wanted me to leave it alone and put a lining in it, he liked the looks of it that way. Maybe I should have listened to him. Oh well live and learn he gave me the money to go out and buy more wool to try again so what do you think?

th_100_0560.jpgth_100_0564.jpgth_100_0561.jpgclickable pics

Shawnee do you put the handles on before or after you felt and i want pockets on the inside should i felt them separately and them sew them on

Sorry I didn't see this question before! I felted my bag with the handles attached.

• 2 weeks later...

I never did a wool one, but here a picture of the one I made out of acrylic yarn. I think I will need to line it, but it turned out pretty neat anyway.

Cherry

th_2007022.jpg

Or you can click the link for a better look:http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa172/cherishedc/2007022.jpg

I never did a wool one, but here a picture of the one I made out of acrylic yarn. I think I will need to line it, but it turned out pretty neat anyway.

Cherry

th_2007022.jpg

Or you can click the link for a better look:http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa172/cherishedc/2007022.jpg

Cherry that turned out beautiful, i am going to do one in acrylic and line it. I liked the looks of it better not felted.

• 3 weeks later...

Cherry -- This is so adorable. Great job!!

Cherry

th_2007022.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived