have you done this? (afghan stitch)

Jess.in.WI

Question

So you may have seen my graphghan *points at sig* I love how it's turning out, but it's going to be way small so I have to improvise to get a true afghan size.

My first idea was to leave the graph image at the bottom of the ghan, then work the length I need with the solid background cover, and then flip a heart at the other end, so that when it's folded in half both sides are upright...

or...

how would it look to just turn the ghan over and begin working more length off of what was the original row? would that work? That would then put the graph image in the middle of the afghan with solid color the rest of the way... does that make sense? I'm just not sure where to go after I finish the graphed part.

12 answers to this question

flip the graph upside down and repeat it again? then you would have an image top and bottom, the same.

sometimes a wide border really helps too. i have a baby blanket my grandma made for my daughter and it has about 4" of border but looks very nice!

It would work...adding more lenghth to the other side to center it. I have done that.

You could:

1. Stop when you have the same number of rows above as there is below. Then do a different stitch (sc, ch, sk; dc, ch, sk;). That helps blend the original chain row.
  2. You might try continuing with the sc on the original chain row and see if it blends.
  3. Make it a horizontal rectangle by adding rows around all 4 sides. Then whe it is on the back of the sofa, the whole design will show. I start out with the same color as the background in a different stitch pattern. Then change stitch patterns and colors. Here are two pictures...

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r224/misssmaggie/SamsSteelerafghan001.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r224/misssmaggie/PGTAfghan001.jpg

You should check out the MoEZ hooks which are handmade smooth afghan hooks that are bigger. I have the red one it is a size N or P..I forget. But, the squares of the afghan stitch come out bigger and the material has a great texture.

I have also got the smaller hooks and have used them for baby yarn and they make a really fast afghan.

I thought about this when I saw your original post because the stitches are so small. Just a thought.

Lorry

Right now I'm working on a graph ghan that is a wildlife scene, moose, eagle, mountains.....that I designed, so now that I'm working on it, it's also coming out smaller than I had anticipated....so I'm going to put a wide border around it-so it appears like a "frame" around a picture.....approximately 6 inches wide-you could do something like that as well. Just a possibility :hook

thanks for all of the great ideas!!! I used that website on page 2 of the graph post that's stickied... I used the largest pattern option but that's still pretty small, well by my afghan standards anyways. Once I complete the graphing part I'll post again to get ideas for the best way to continue. Thanks so much!

I have nothing to add that might help... I just wanted to say that your graphghan is beautiful.

I am working on one right now and I am afraid of it beoin too small. I have decided on a wide border if need be.

I like the idea of having the hearts and 25th anniversary repeated at both ends (one flipped). In that way, when they cuddle under the afghan, the hearts and words will be visible.

I vote that you should use a different color and stitch and do a big border so that it looks framed. Of course you could get really crazy and use a pic of them to do a graph above their names but that would be quite a bit of work.

I've asked MissMaggie for more details on her Steelers'ghan. I love the variety of stitches, yet the clean uncomplicated look of it, perfect to not take away from the graph.... oh I'm so scared I'm going to try to do some crazy big border and ruin it! Of course, can you really ruin an afghan???

Archived