Counting rows?

pixiepurls

Question

Okay I am working in the "round" making a toy from roxy craft. Do they call it working in the round when you go round and round to create a ball?

Okay the main question is how do I count rows, the only way I know how I have heard is you put a stitch marker in the stitch and move it "up" once ou are on the next row, well it seems like when I work int he "round" that stitch is slowly moving to the right?? Is there an illustration for this on doing it, is it any different in the round?

7 answers to this question

Yes, if you are working in unjoined rounds you are basically making a spiral and the beginning of that round will gradually shift. If you are making rounds where you join, chain up and then continue you wouldn't have to mark the beginning of the round because you would clearly see it.

Crocheting in a spiral is going round and round with no start and stop to the rows. When you don't just keep going round and round there will be a definite end to a row where you will slip stitch to connect, chain, and then start the next row. Two different ways to crochet in the round. Hope that helps.

:think Even when you are making a square, you are crocheting in rounds.:think

When you are making a round circle in DCs, the join always moves to the right because you are increasing into the first stitch.

To prevent this, if it is a problem, you can omit the first increase at the start of the row and add it in at the end, into the base of the CH3.

Working in a spiral in SCs is a different story. I have always chosen to join each row and make CH1 and start my first SC into the same place as the CH.

You can do the same as the DC method and omit the first increase at the start of the row and add it in at the end.

This keeps the join straight.

The joins have never bothered me at all because that is just how crochet is.

th_CrochetSamples026.jpg

th_CrochetSamples006.jpg

Here are a couple of samples which show both methods.

Both are done in DCs.

Not the best photography but they may help.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

hrmm okay well the "join" I assume you mean is when I first like corchet 8 times into one stitch to get my circled and then sorta join it to be a nice circle and go around and around.

When I crochet a toy sometime sit has me knit the top of the head seperate from the bottom half and seaming those together, or joining them looks so bad as I'm only learning, though i thought i did okay, i did a slip stitch join.

So yeah I still don't know which part, or like how to tel which stitch is which, I can tell going up and down when a new "row" appears but I don't know vertically exactly which part is the stitch when using a maker to count my rows as I go up.

2 ways to crochet around? I think I am doing spirals but I'm not sure. I just keep going around in a circiel I made it up as I went as I had no instructions. I just go around and around and around! but I can't tell how many rows up I've gone! Ya'll are speaking greek lol.

Archived