Restoring Stained Threadwork

I had a beautiful old table runner 7157007.jpgwith a mystery blue stain that no amount of sunbleaching or washing would cure.

So I came to Crochetville and asked for ideas. 7157003.jpg

That initial thread was http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56057 and I was given a variety of innovative tricks to try on a stain I thought was beyond hope.

Here are the steps I took and although I feel it was the last step that did the trick there is always a possibility the first two could have somehow prepared the way ...

1rubalcohol.jpg1) rubbing alcohol: I thoroughly wet the stain area with it and let it sit overnight ... then I rinsed it several times and then dried it in the sunlight. There was a general lightening of the stain but no removal of it.

2milk.jpg2) milk bath: I filled a saucer with whole milk and as you can see I pressed the stained area under the surface and put it out in the sun for an hour ... then I rinsed several times and put it back into the sun. Still more fading but not enough yet.

Step 3) Hairspray: I really wet the threads with the spray but I couldn't detect any noticeable change except for a blurring of the stains edges. 3fainternow.jpgSo that's when I began step 4) Goo Gone: this is a citrus oil base that removes gummed stickers from yard sale purchases. I was VERY tentative and dipped a Q Tip in the product and dabbed it onto one DC very very carefully. No puff of smoke or any other dire violence to the threads occurred so I started to rub very very softly ... no problem ... I crossed my fingers and waited an hour ... I came back, rinsed and saw no damage to the thread so I did it again and rubbed a little more.

The stain was fading in front of my eyes.

I took a deep breath and fully saturated the stained threads and took an old sock and really rubbed well, always rubbing in the direction of the threads.

In just a few minutes I had this allgone.jpg and unless I examined it with a magnifier I could not locate the original stain area.

Now I have a fully restored masterpiece and what a gorgeous runner for my holiday table! likenew.jpg I took this picture by laying the runner of a blue blanket and that's the only reason you might think you're seeing blue. Believe me ... this is now all white again.

This whole success story is due to you wonderful Crochetville members. :jumpyay

I'm so glad you successfully restored that lovely runner, and I really appreciate the report on your step-by-step process. I'm a big fan of Goo Gone for removing stubborn stickers and stuff like that, but I had no idea it would remove stains, and I certainly will file that fact away in my head for future reference. Thank you! I'm kind of wondering if Goo Gone would work on some of the vintage lace and crocheted pieces -- beautiful but stained --(not ink, but "age spots" of some sort) left me by my mother.

BTW, in case anybody's interested, I have been able to successfully remove stains (one a llargish mystery stain left by the former owner, another cat barf) on our Berber carpet by dabbing and carefully rubbing (also patiently and persistently) with alcohol and a clean cloth. I was amazed at the results.

Thanks for the info!

I have some doilies that my late grandmother made...some have stains and I didn't know what to do with them...

Someday I'll get to them and maybe frame them...

They were made probably back before the 1940s or so.(guessing)

Oh, one more thing...do you know what the spot was or how old it's been on it? Just curious!

Thanks for the info!

I have some doilies that my late grandmother made...some have stains and I didn't know what to do with them...

Someday I'll get to them and maybe frame them...

They were made probably back before the 1940s or so.(guessing)

Oh, one more thing...do you know what the spot was or how old it's been on it? Just curious!

the stains, although on an old piece , were I think realtively new, such as within my lifetime as opposed to 1930 ...

no, I was never able to pinpoint the source but by the placement of the stain I have imagined a colored basket was on the table and in the basket was a potted plant and when the plant was watered it seeped out into the basket which then bled onto the runner.

at least that's what I'm guessing ... dye from something sitting on the runner

I'm soooo glad you were able to rescue that runner! It's a beautiful piece and now you can show off it entirely. I'm wondering if a concentrated bath of oxyclean might not help newer, less stuborn stains or age darkening... I always see the 'amazing results' on TV... (It has been known to get blood stains from nosebleads out of my white futon...)

Archived