LB Tea and Sympathy Shawl

paperflowers

Question

My work is about 20" high, but it's nowhere near as wide as the pattern specifies (60"). I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Here's what I did:

1. Ch9, sc in 3rd st and across (pattern said 2nd, but counts 7sc).

2. Ch2, 2sc in first st, sc across, 2sc in last st (9).

3. Ch5, tr across (9).

4. Repeat row 2 (11).

5. Repeat row 2.

6. Repeat row 3.

...and then repeat rows 4-6.

15 answers to this question

I just did a quick start on this and because I wasn't paying close attention, I did an increase on the TR rows as well. i would bet that that would get you much closer to the 60 inches you want. It also looked good to me. Kept the slant going

Lion Brand emailed back and asked if I checked my gauge. I am SO mad. I wasted an entire day on this shawl and the whole thing has to be frogged.

I am so sorry this happened. :hug

I have had to do it and I know the frustration and the downright "hurt" that you feel. You start a project with a wonderful vision and then you have a pile of yarn sitting there instead. :cry

I have not seen that hook for sale here. I have a Q hook which might work. The shawl itself is pretty basic.

However, I want to try the Tea and Sympathy one with the Tr increases. I really liked the way my little bit looked done with a large -10mm- hook.

Our crafts stores have the lion brand speed hooks and I think the S is the same as the Susan Bates S hook I have so used that. You can't miss the Susan Bates S hook at the store because it's very big and white plastic but check the package because the 16mm Q hook is also big and white. They don't stamp a label on the plastic so I just printed an address label and wrapped it around the bottom to make sure I wouldn't get the 2 confused.

I used the Joanne's sensations boucle with a strand of the sensations rainbow, the fuzzy stuff. Got a large size with the S for a bigger person then the other one I used a P hook I think and got a nice size for a smaller lady. I didn't get a picture of the blue one before I left it at church. Mary

shawl001.jpg

I have seen a s hok in hobby lobby but I too think a q would be ok also. It would just make it larger.

I am in Canada so WM is my option in my town. I believe that an S is larger than a Q... based on the alphabet at least.

I assume the S is the largest although it doesn't have any mm on it just says S. I have 3 Q hooks. My lion brand one says us 19 Q 15.00mm. Then the Susan Bates Q says 16mm and the boy Q says 15.75. I think I have every hook I can get my hands on except I can't seem to find a no. 7 here. I looked it up and it appears to be between a G and H. Saw a plastic one on the Mary Maxim site though that goes with the afghan kit but I wanted to find a metal one. Mary

Archived