Teaching on an Airplane

:lol

As some know, I fly a lot for work. Well, Yesterday I was working on a strip for my FIL's Flannelghan I'm making for his birthday. There were three young kids in the row in front of me, a boy and two girls. I think they ranged in age from 8 to 12. The girl in the middle turned around in her seat at one point and was watching me with these HUGE eyes in amazement. I showed her what I was doing and told her what it was. She asked if she could try. Well, right on the strip I was working on I showed her how to do a chain. She was working with two strands and an N hook, not exactly a beginner task.... She busilly worked away at it for about a half hour or so. (Luckilly I had my game boy for company...) Her sister played a long for a little while with my K hook and a ball of cream, but got bored or fedup quick...)

Here's a picture of what my friend managed:

th_girlchain.jpg

It's very hard to try and teach a righty, when you're a left, sitting behind them on an airplane and trying to talk over engine noise. :eek:lol

She did a fabulous job until the yarn started giving her issues. I hope she picks it up again sometime from someone who can actually teach her!

Just thought I'd share... it sure made my 4-hour flight a lot more interesting! :) (The older lady in the window seat of my row was grinning with me at the site... the guy in the middle was trying to sleep :P)

I think it's terrific that you shared your talent with a child. Who knows, she may go home and teach herself how to crochet! With so many books and videos, there are ways to learn how. You may have given her the "Crochet bug"

Be proud of yourself!

Great Job!

:manyheart

I was making the Skipping Stones afghan on my last flight, and a little girl was sitting next to me. She was interested and I showed her what to do, but she was younger than your new friend so she couldn't get the hang of it (and I didn't have an extra hook with me). When we got to Phoenix she wanted to take my blanket with her, but I explained it was for another little girl. Nice work, Crochet Ambassador! Patty

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's made friends like this. One of the last Project Linus blankets I was making was admired by a flight attendant. As I was leaving the plane he said something along the lines of "you shouldn't have made that for me...." I almost asked him his name and said I'd send him the blanket if he promised to take it to the childrens hospital he was collecting pop-tabs for. I still think I should have. (I would have made him one as well... the one I was working on was purple, pink and white...)

There must be something about yarn lovers. We must look safe to the general public since people seem to be drawn to us and want to talk about whatever we're doing. Next party I go to, I think I'll take my crochet project along:cheer

Do you have any trouble getting crochet hooks on the plane???

I'm flying this weekend and had posted a thread asking about this.... I've decided to take the smallest plastic hook I have and leave my dear and antique steel hooks at home. No sense running the risk.

But on the FAA's site hooks are permitted for carry one

Do you have any trouble getting crochet hooks on the plane???

Nope. Although, I don't do thread much, so I don't have anything smaller than a D with me. The only time I had anyone look at me sideways was when I had a small pair of scisors that looked too big on the screen, but wasn't. (The guy told me the blades could be up to 4 :eek inches long!!)

Archived