Can I shrink this hat?

newthingcrochet

Question

Well, I made a hat for dd out of sugar n cream.... and it's too big. I don't know how that happened since I tried it on her after every row, but it is. Do I have frog it all or do you think it would work to throw it in the dryer for a while? Would it be permanently smaller or would it stretch out again? It's a bucket hat with a lacy crown and solid brim.

11 answers to this question

some people swear cotton shrinks when washed, personally I haven't had this experience but you could try that. I find cotton tightens after being wet but just as soon stretches when worn again.

Is there a chance that you could thread a line of that plastic elastic at the point just before where the brim begins ( do it a couple of times around) so that it would just come in a bit.

I really don't think you can get the cotton to shrink. It has never happened for me but keep reading as others may have different info.

Seriously, Empress Busy Bee is the best "go to" person for info like this.

I think that maybe if you could wash it in hot water( depending on color) and dry it on hot .

That might work. I love sugars and cream. Pinkroses

Yeah, I'm frogging it, but just the brim, I think if I make that smaller it will pull the crown in a little and work that way. So can you wash and dry cotton yarn? I was under the impression you could not dry it or it would shrink.

I think you're going to have to rip it out. Sorry.

I made a top for my daughter out of it last year and have washed and dried it many times. It hasn't shrunk yet.

Sorry.

One thing I"ve learned with using this type of cotton yarn is to make the item smaller than you want it to begin with. For some reason this yarn stretches out after being worn. If you make a hat, make it a little snug and when they put it on, it will stretch to the right size. If you make it the right size to begin with, it will stretch and be too large.

Good tip. It's done now and is just a little snug on my dd, we have decided it is good enough to give to her friend for her bday and I will make dd another one.

One thing I"ve learned with using this type of cotton yarn is to make the item smaller than you want it to begin with. For some reason this yarn stretches out after being worn. If you make a hat, make it a little snug and when they put it on, it will stretch to the right size. If you make it the right size to begin with, it will stretch and be too large.

Archived