Floral Poncho CAL

vhanna26

Hello,

I first saw this on Vicki's Blog (her May 29th entry), and thought that this is too cute!

I knew I had to have the pattern from Stitch Diva Studios.

The pattern is supposed to take only a few hours, and would make a great weekend project.

I just ordered the yarn from Elann, and I thought it would be fun if others crocheted this poncho along with me. It's an intermediate level pattern, but one of the great things about Crochet Alongs is that there's someone to help.

If you are interested in joining a Crochet Along for this poncho, please respond here or e-mail me.

vhanna26@msn.com

If there is enough interest, I like to start July 1st in order to give everyone enough time to get the pattern and yarn.

Thanks,

Vera

Vera's Crafty Blog

wow, that's really beautiful! i wish i weren't such a fatty. now that i can do all this 'trendy' stuff, it's too depressing to think about :cry

'tis why i drag my booty to the gym every stinkin day :rolleyes

i really have a lot of WIPs right now, i'm gonna pass on this one. but i'll keep checking in on it to see your progress.

what color are you using?

The yarn I ordered from Elann is called Tahki Positano. It's a chuny weight yarn with mostly cotton and rayon with a little bit of linen thrown in.

I've never seen or used it before, but I thought it would have a nice drape to it as well as some sheen. I hope that I'll like it.

--Vera

Vera's Crafty Blog

I think I might hop in on this! I've been eyeing up the pattern but since it would look rediculous on me I haven't bought it. My skinny minny friend/dog sitter liked the poncho I made last week for my sister, I bet she'd like this one.

One question about the pattern, how easy/hard do you think it will be to follow? Are the pictures helpful? I think I have fairly good crochet skills but my pattern reading skills...well...not so good. When I see a long string of abbreviations my eyes glaze over and I can't figure out what goes where. If someone shows me or I see a close up picture then I can put 2+2 together and get it to work.

Holly

The pattern is written for intermediate crocheters. It is meant to be completed in a few hours or over the course of a few days. There are photos and explanations, though.

--Vera

holly - me too:b long parenthesis and brackets and do 4 times more --- ugh!:frog

something that i started to get me over this hump, i made a really difficult shawl for a friend a month back, i did the instructions on index cards and connected them with a ring and flipped through as i completed each set....

does that make sense? :scratchchin

it made a HUGE difference in the amount of froggin that went on ;)

The index cards are a great idea!!

I think I will do this. I need to stretch my wings and try something a little scary. This is small enough that it won't hurt too badly if it doesn't work lol!

Ok, count me in!

Holly

Welcome abord Holly!:welcome

The index cards are a great idea. I've never tried that before.

I taught myself to crochet from books, so I'm reasonably comfortable with patterns, and I like to challenge myself every now and then. Last year, I got involved in symbol crochet, and made lots of doilies from magazines like Magic Crochet.

I have a bad tendency not to read the pattern first, but just pick up my hook, and have at it. If I get stuck, I try to figure out how to make it work.

The pattern took Vicki a day or so. I'll probably choose a weekend next month to work it. I have a ton of WIPs, but I need a fast project.

:cheer Welcome to the CAL Nanci:cheer

Please send me you e-mail address so I can add you to the list

vhanna26@msn.com

I will post an entry in my blog soon with a list of participants to date sometime this evening.

Thanks,

Vera

Guest bramble

i just noticed that this thread was for a pattern i already have! i am waiting for my yarn, i am going to use lion brand microspun. it should arrive tomorrow.

so, i guess i am going to start before july 1st...does that mean i can't play? i'm a beginner, so maybe my slowness will compensate for an early start? ;-)

Hi,

Welcome to the CAL:clap

Feel free to start wheneven you like, and send me your e-mail address too so I can add you to the list. Mine is vhanna26@msn.com

I have already started the poncho, and have conpleted the first four rows. While I'm not crazy about the yarn, it's turning out well. I have a photo of my progress on my blog.

While this is an intermediate pattern, a very patient and determined beginner can make this poncho. The great thing about CALs is that others are there to help.

Archived