Granny "square" want rectangle

babypoohsmom

Question

Hello,

This is my first post and I know I should have introduced myself first, but I am so excited to find this website that I can't wait to blurt out my question.

I just learned to crochet a few months ago from a video (by Bev Dillon, I think) and I love making Granny's Squares because I can't mess up! (I have tried a few other patterns but I either mis-count my base chain or turn too early or too late, etc and get a mess). However, I would love to make a Granny's Rectangle! You know, so the finished product would fit better on a bed. Can anyone tell me how to start one so that it is elongated? I will sit here with my hook in my hand waiting....;) Just kidding, but i sure would like to know.

Thanks so much!!

4 answers to this question

Easy request! Always start with www.crochetpatterncentral.com to satisfy most if not all of your requests. Search for "rectangle," using this link: http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/search.php.

Anyway, welcome to the ville. I'm a little north of you, in Colorado.

Ellen

Darski, that is a great tutorial, especially with the photos.

Pooh'sMom, If you want to 'go crazy' with other granny square shapes, go to Anniesattic.com, click on the 'Talking Crochet' archives.

Jan 2007 -pentagranny

Dec 2006 - octagranny and hexagranny (2 newsletters)

Nov 2006 - halfgranny and quarter granny (2 patterns in 1 newsletter)

Have fun!! I like granny squares too :)

Thanks for the links. I like the one darski sent a lot. That is really the elongation I was looking for. I will be using a nice verigated yarn so I won't need to do the color changes, but the step-by-step pictures are exactly what I need as a newbie. I have been quilting, cross-stitching and rubber stamping for years and now I can't believe how much I enjoy crocheting! Oh no, I think I need to make more room for yarn!

THANKS!! :cheer

Archived