project for 12 year-old girl

My 12 year-old cousin finger knits and liked making scarves with fun fur. Her parents bought her a knit-a-scarf kit and I got her started on the basic knit stitch. She practiced for a week or so and got several rows done, but they said she struggled with it. Some of her stitches were dropped or twisted.

They asked me to teach her crochet instead. I set her up with an I hook and some pink super saver. She picked up sc in an evening, though she seems to feel awkard with the supply yarn. She inserts the hook, uses the fingers of her left hand to pinch the yarn around the hook, then pulls the loop through. I told her it wasn't wrong if that's how she felt comfortable.

When I went back to visit, she hadn't practiced at all. Her practice piece is about 20sc wide to make a purse. Maybe she'd be more motivated if we made something else?

What would be a good project where she could work straight sc or dc across? Could she do a poncho?

I think the most important aspect would be to find something that she does want to make..a stuffed animal or something. Anyways, take that object, break it down into the stitches. Tell her you are working on her knowing all the stitches that she needs to know to make the animal or whatever she really desires to make. No matter how advanced, the object can be broken down into steps and she will finally be able to make the desired object. That would be my approach, but you are free to ignore my advice.

How about making herself a purse? Super easy, small, and the chain is super fast. there are lots of cute purse patterns out there. The hardest part would be learning to sew the sides together. She could even just make a rectangle of the size she wants and then doulbe that, fold over, and sew the sides. Make a long chain, attach, voila! Her very own purse! Patty

I learned at that age. My mom made me do a few swatches of basic stitches before I moved on. My first project was a fridgie and then a stuffed animal (there's a picture on my blog). Those were both small enough that I could finish them before I got bored with it. After that I attempted a blanket, but it was too big of a project and was never finished.

Let her look at some different patterns and see what she's interested in. Keep the options to simple patterns that could be finished with in a week or two. She may be more motivated to work on it if she knows that you'll be checking in to see if she needs any help.

I would start off with a scarf or washcloth pattern.....they are very easy, she could do just sc back and forth and she will learn about keeping her row counts even....and have a cute FO when she is done with it!

I would start off with a scarf or washcloth pattern.....they are very easy, she could do just sc back and forth and she will learn about keeping her row counts even....and have a cute FO when she is done with it!

When I was younger and my grandmother was trying to teach me to crochet I did 8 small squares, learned to sew 4 squares together, sewed the 2 "sides" together and stuff...making a pillow. That way I learned the sc and how to sew.

I think once she completes someting and sees the end result she might be alittle more motivated.

I have a 6-yr-old that begs me almost every night to teach her. I have tried to teach her to make a simple sc potholder. I don't know if I am doing something wrong (bad teacher) or she just isn't picking it up. I actually think she might be left handed and I am not. My mom taught me as an adult and I want to teach her very badly. I let her pick out what she wanted to do but in the end she still can't pick up the concept. Anybody have ideas?

Thanks for replies. I don't see her that often and was going to show her dc next trip. She can only learn one stitch at a time.

I've been looking at patterns. I'll have to talk to her and find out what she'd prefer to make. Her mom suggested ponchos, so I was thinking maybe a shawl or something she can wear. We've been learning on acrylic, though.

Archived