ending a row/turning ch

paperflowers

Question

When I’m working in sc or dc, at the end of the row I always work my last stitch into the turning chain of the previous row. My cousin who’s learning has trouble finding it. I looked at some how-to crochet instructions and didn’t see any mention of it. A beginner who didn’t know would likely go under the top two loops of the last stitch instead of the ch. Now I’m not so sure. Are there two ways to do it? Which is the conventional way?

While we’re on the subject of chains…I have the same question about spaces.

When working projects with square spaces (either across or in round), sometimes you’ll chain 4 and then on the way back, stitch into the 2nd chain. I usually stitch it the same as a turning ch: twist the ch to face me and go straight through it, picking up two loops. I suppose you could go under the top two loops also. Does it matter?

I love the new ways of doing things some crocheters have invented. I’m thinking about teaching, though so I’m trying to make sure I’m clear on the traditional methods.

Laurie

Crochet blog:

http://paperflowerscrochet.blogspot.com

9 answers to this question

I have been crocheting a long time (off and on) and still have trouble finding the turning chain!:P I put a stitch marker thru the top 2 threads most of the time so I CAN find it.

I don't really know what you mean about about the spaces. I don't crochet into the ch space, just under it. Thats me tho-might be wrong!:)

Sorry, "space" was kinda the wrong word to use. Imagine you're working in the round and creating boxes: ch4, skip 1 st, dc, ch1, skip 1 st, dc....when you finish the round you ch1 and slip stitch to a chain in the ch4 (not in the space). Is there a certain way to tackle that ch or is it personal preference?

When I'm working with sc, I ch 1, turn, then sc in the very first sc and across. I don't think I do a sc in the turning ch.

When I'm working with dc, I ch 3, turn, then skip the first stich, and dc in the next one. Then at the end I do dc in the top of the turning chain. The other way to do it would be to dc in the first stich, and not in the turning ch. That should give you the correct number of stiches in each row, but it will look a little jagged on the edges. It's probably not really noticable if you put an edge around it.

I agree with Amy, don't end a sc row by stitching into the turning chain, stitch into the stitches only. In sc the turning chain is not the first stitch, it just helps you turn without puckering.

In DC, the normal convention says that ch-3 IS the first stitch, so you don't DC into the first DC, you skip that DC and DC into the second DC. Now you have two stitches in your row, one is a ch-3 and the other is a 'real' DC.

Since the ch-3 is a stitch, this is why you have to make the last DC into the turning ch of the prior row.

I'm surprised the how-to books don't tell you that...then again I learned how to crochet before dinosaurs roamed the earth...

I've tried Amy's description of not counting the ch-3 as a stitch, and just let it hang outside your work, DC-ing into DCs only. It leaves a zig-zaggy edge, which might be decorative depending on what you're making, or you could hide it with an edging or parhaps in a garment seam. But, it's not the conventional way to do it.

To answer your space question...that's a good one. I suppose the conventional way is to insert the hook into the chain the as you would into a stitch, that is between the top two loops and the bottom loop. But, sometimes I crochet my turning chains tightly and insert the hook between the top two loops, which is easier to poke into. Whichever way you do it, you need to be consistent, because if you mix it up, especially when working in the round, it will show.

Thanks for replies. I guess the turning-ch thing is only in dc. I've always done it in sc - skip the last stitch and go into the turning-ch. Can't remember which way I learned. It looks straight, even if it's not the proper way. If anyone's curious, I can take a photo of my current project in sc.

I'll tell Abbey she doesn't have to worry about turning-ch's until we learn dc :).

Thanx for asking this question because I often wondered the same thing.

And Thanx Amy and Granny Square for clearing that up. I actually copied your answers. This helps me out alot.

Carol:hook

When I’m working in sc or dc, at the end of the row I always work my last stitch into the turning chain of the previous row. My cousin who’s learning has trouble finding it. I looked at some how-to crochet instructions and didn’t see any mention of it. A beginner who didn’t know would likely go under the top two loops of the last stitch instead of the ch. Now I’m not so sure. Are there two ways to do it? Which is the conventional way?

While we’re on the subject of chains…I have the same question about spaces.

When working projects with square spaces (either across or in round), sometimes you’ll chain 4 and then on the way back, stitch into the 2nd chain. I usually stitch it the same as a turning ch: twist the ch to face me and go straight through it, picking up two loops. I suppose you could go under the top two loops also. Does it matter?

I love the new ways of doing things some crocheters have invented. I’m thinking about teaching, though so I’m trying to make sure I’m clear on the traditional methods.

Laurie

Crochet blog:

http://paperflowerscrochet.blogspot.com

Archived