Trouble Reading This Pattern...

seamusandrosy

Question

Hello! I have a LOT of trouble reading crochet patterns - but I've gotten better! - and I'm stuck on part of one.

I'm working on the Mile A Minute Afghan, specifically the Petal Flower square, and for the life of me, I can't get row three right! I've tried interpreting it in different ways, substituting the abbreviations for words, charging ahead the way it says, and nothing I'm doing is making any sense or making it look even a teensy bit like the picture.

Has anyone done this afghan or knows how to read patterns who could help me? I'm sorry for asking such a silly question, but I'm at my wit's end. I must have ripped out this thing over a dozen times and I have no clue what's going on with it.

7 answers to this question

Can you give an idea of what specific problem you are having? This is the round that completes the square you started on round 2. Are you ending up with too many stitches? Not enough?

Rnd 3:Join yarn in any ch-3 sp, ch 2, work 1 hdc, ch 2 and 2 hdc in same sp, * hdc in each of next 3 dc, 2 hdc in ch-2 sp, hdc in sc, 2 hdc in ch-2 sp, hdc in each of 3 dc, work 2 hdc, ch 2 and 2 hdc in ch-3 sp.

Rep from * around.

Join to top of ch-2. Break off.

Translated: Join yarn in any chain 3 space (corner from round 2) Chain 2, work 1 halfdouble crochet, chain 2 then do 2 half double's in the same space. **Half double in each of the next 3 double crochet, 2 half double in chain 2 space, half double in single crochet, 2 half double in chain 2 space, half double in each of the next 3 double crochet, work 2 half double-a chain 2 and 2 half double in next chain 3 space (this will be the 2nd corner), repeat from ** around,

Does this help?

It's possible you have your loops and petals a bit wrong on Round 2, which is making it difficult. Just a thought. Otherwise, Crocus' instructions are spot on.

Indeed. Thank you both so much! I really appreciate the help.

I am also very confused because in rnd 4, it says to single crochet in every halfdouble crochet, working 2 sc in each ch-3 space - but nowhere in rnd 3 am I told to ch 3! Should I turn the last ch 2 into a ch 3? Would this make the pattern accurate and stop my square from looking like a deformed polygon of indeterminate sides?

Indeed. Thank you both so much! I really appreciate the help.

I am also very confused because in rnd 4, it says to single crochet in every halfdouble crochet, working 2 sc in each ch-3 space - but nowhere in rnd 3 am I told to ch 3! Should I turn the last ch 2 into a ch 3? Would this make the pattern accurate and stop my square from looking like a deformed polygon of indeterminate sides?

I would consider that an obvious typo. You can decide if you want to make that a ch 3 or leave the ch 2 as written.

i am going to post a picture of the back of this square in hopes that you can see how the parts all fit...

mam1.jpg

I just used leftover bits that I had nearby so I hope you can see the various rows even when they are different than the pattern ones.

here is the square from the front

mam2.jpg

If the pics themselves don't help, do they provide you with a way to ask questions? :wlol

Indeed, Darski, you are. My apologies for not replying with my thanks earlier - my computer crashed last night and I was too disgusted to bother fixing it until now.

Thank you SO MUCH! Now that I see pictures that are larger than an inch square, I think I see what the pattern should be. Thank you for your kindness in helping me!

Archived