yarn substitutes

I got the Sexy Little Knits from the library and there are only about 3 things that I want to make, but they are all in Cascade Fixation. I can't find that, so I want to substitute it with Peaches and Cream cotton. I looked up the yarn and it said that it was 98.3% cotton and 1.7% elastic. But, I couldnt find how thick the yarn was. 2-ply, 4-ply, etc. The pattern calls for a C/2 hook.

Can anybody help me out on this? I'm doing all that I know to do, but maybe you guys know more than me.

thanks!

I did a bit of research for you and found this at Annie's Attic Yarn FAQs: (http://www.anniesattic.com/pages/yarn_faq.html): In response to a question about substituting yarns based on the number of plies, the answer was this: "There are some three- or four-ply yarns that are very lightweight yarns. There are also some one- or two ply yarns that are very bulky and heavy.

Your best bet is to always substitute yarns based on the recommended gauge and needle or hook size listed on the label."

The FAQs also answered a number of other questions about substituting one yarn for another.

Hope this helps.

PS: I did find the Cascade Fixation for sale at a number of Web sites including this one. Just Google for it by name. It looks pretty.

okay, here's the thing: the cascade site gave the gauge for the yarn (5.5 st=1") but what hook size did they use?

they had a "label" but it didnt say what hook you should use.

maybe i should just make a swatch of the peaches and cream and see if it measures up to the gauge in the pattern?

Gauge: 5.5s = 1" #5-9

"#5-9"...does that mean the hook size? i think i'm freaking out too much over this!

The "#5-9" means knitting needle sizes 5-9, not crochet hook sizes. (Yep, the knitting bias does show. :sigh) But I found a site that shows metric sites for knitting needles and crochet hooks (:clap). This info will help you to find a hook that is at least close to the needle sises that Cascade recommends. (I'm going to print it out for future reference.)

Hope this helps.

cascade fixations if sock/baby/fingering weight

and it has elastic in it which will be very hard to substitute something and have it have the same feel/drape/fit unless it also has some sort of elastic. this would be a great and cheaper substitution http://elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=elann%2Ecom+Esprit&Season=&Company=&Cat=ALLY&ProductType=5&OrderBy=+Order+By+ShortFibre&Count=40

I don't know that you would get a result you like, even if you meet the gauge for your pattern--sugar and cream is a great yarn, but more for utility type stuff or housewares that the type of garment in sexy little knits...Fixation is a good choice for a cotton knit because the elastic component allows it to cling just a bit, where sugar and cream would not...the elastic also helps a garment retain it's shape, I am concerned that the heaviness of S&C would cause whatever you made to sag and droop, particularily in those areas where you need a good fit (bustline and backside come to mind). Hope this helps:)

Archived