Help with Triangle shawl

Simply Hooked

Question

I just made a simple triangle shawl, from the bottom up, ch1, dc etc and increased one stitch on either end of each row. I didn't use a pattern as this appeared to be easy. The result was that I ended up with a shawl that was way too pointy and narrow on the sides. Can anyone help me with how I would be able to get a basic triangle shape that's fatter, if you know what I mean. Thanks in advance.

9 answers to this question

You could do the same thing only increase 2 dc on each side rather than 1. A dc is almost twice as tall as it is wide, that is why you ended up with a long skinny shawl. A sc is pretty close to as tall as it is wide, and a hdc is in the middle there.

Did I answer your question?

You could do the same thing only increase 2 dc on each side rather than 1. A dc is almost twice as tall as it is wide, that is why you ended up with a long skinny shawl. A sc is pretty close to as tall as it is wide, and a hdc is in the middle there.

Did I answer your question?

Thanks for responding. So you think I should either increase 2 stitches on the sides or use a shorter stitch. I will make a swatch..I never do (part of the problem I guess..) and see which works better. By the way I used Trellis yarn..and a N hook.

Thanks for responding. So you think I should either increase 2 stitches on the sides or use a shorter stitch. I will make a swatch..I never do (part of the problem I guess..) and see which works better. By the way I used Trellis yarn..and a N hook.

You could do either/or to make a fatter triangle. The swatch will help you see how "steep" the angles are going to be. :)

I just made a simple triangle shawl, from the bottom up, ch1, dc etc and increased one stitch on either end of each row. I didn't use a pattern as this appeared to be easy. The result was that I ended up with a shawl that was way too pointy and narrow on the sides. Can anyone help me with how I would be able to get a basic triangle shape that's fatter, if you know what I mean. Thanks in advance.

Increasing one on each end is fine but you have to insert a couple of rows of non increases in between each row of increases to keep it from being pointy....I've made 3 doing it that way

Good Luck

~Lynne~

:cheer Have you seen the Half Granny Triangle?

You can do this one to any size because it starts in the centre at the top and gets wider by increasing at each end of every row.

I dont have a picture for you to see but it would not be too hard to do a sample and take a picture.

Doing it this way, you get a triangle which has a long side at the top (never was any good at naming different triangles except I know it is not equilateral) so it is a nice shape for a shawl. You can also increase even more at each end of the row and make a butterfly shape.

It is very plain but can create a nice fancy scallop border when you reach the size you want.

Whan starting at the point, you need to increase quicker to get the width before the length but sometimes there can be a problem with the top edge ending up with a curve.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I agree with Aggie May, the Half Granny triangle is a great way to get a good shawl shape. I like the look of the butterfly types but the shape was useless for me. I want my arms covered and not the back of my knees :wlol

Just because it is the "half granny" doesn't mean that you can't be creative in what you do with blocks and stitches. This is my favourite way to make a shawl quickly. I should look for mine, can't remember if I gave it away yet or not.

When I have done the Triangle from the bottom up, most patterns used a full V-stitch on each side. a V-st is going to be at least worth 3 stitches.

I agree with Aggie May, the Half Granny triangle is a great way to get a good shawl shape. I like the look of the butterfly types but the shape was useless for me. I want my arms covered and not the back of my knees :wlol

Darski, :lol that's exactly what I mean..I am vertically challenged(only 4' 9" )so I need more coverage of the arms rather that a long pointy tail and I don't want to make a stole.

Archived