Mixing hooks?

I really want to keep all of my hooks in ONE place (barring those with WIPs). I found a small vinyl mascara bag I got as a freebie after a makeup purchase. It's just the right length for my hooks, with plenty of room for me to add more hooks.

Is it a storage no-no to mix steel, aluminuim, and plastic hooks? They won't damage each other, right? I don't have any wood ones . . .

~ Joy

I don't think it would hurt anything. I've been storing my hooks pretty much the same way (in a little makeup bag). I have aluminum, plastic, and steel which are all jumbled together and have been for years. I've never noticed anything different.

It's one of those little bags that I could never let go, even if I didn't have a purpose for it. It was the freebie for a blue (!) mascara I bought for fun in Poland, and when I left Poland, I gave the mascara to my friend who could never have justified the purchase for herself, but longed for the mascara. (My justification was that I was on vacation!) I had only used it twice, and she was so thrilled to have it.

So I couldn't give up the bag, because it reminds me of her. I'm so glad to have found such a pleasant use for it now!

~ Joy

A year or so ago I found a child's pencil bag from Cost Plus - it's plush and looks like a frog, with a zipper down its back. Its about 7 inches long and very roomy. I keep hooks, measuring tape, yarn needle, foldup scissors and safety pins in it, and it's perfect for taking with me just about anywhere. Yay for perfect storage solutions! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I really like your idea... I have a soft sidedholder for all my hooks

...and a plastic screw top jar

...and a flip top eye glass case

...and various balls of yarn :lol

(wouldn't it be great if we could put them all together and they multiplied)

I have a clear plastic storage container with all my hooks in them. They are all mixed except for my one Jimbo hook. No problems so far.

Not just for my hooks (Jimbo) but ANY wood hook. Its a good idea to keep them out of harms way. Wood dents if it gets whacked by hard objects. And although most wood hooks have a finish (mine do), its still a good idea to keep them isolated from any thing that would scrape or dent them.

Way to go, Felix!!

Jimbo

I keep mine in a hard shell sunglasses case - got it as a free gift from Mary Kay or Avon or something like that. Its not something I really use - the glasses are always on my face or propped on my head. I came acrossed it while cleaning out a drawer & its perfect for my hooks. And since it is a hot pink leopard print, its pretty easy to spot amongst my stash! lol

:yarn :yarn :yarn :yarn

Just FYI everyone - most office supplies stores (Staples, Office Max, Target, etc) are having their Back to School sales right now! Its a great place to find cheap pencil cases/boxes, just the right size for your crochet notions and gadgets!

I picked up four various cases the other day for future RAOK'ing. Yay! :)

Archived