Help me....son cut into a blanket...can it be fixed?

mommy2jj3604

Question

Ok so I was sharing a story on the UFO crochet along and someone suggested I post here and maybe I could get some help from one of the many amazing ladies (and guys) on here.

Ok so I had made a Winne the Pooh blanket for my oldest son about 2 years ago and it is all cross stitched on to a solid sc blanket. Well I haven't completely finished the cross stitching because it takes forever but I was working on it one day and walked out to the kitchen to get lunch started and my oldest son went into my project bag and pulled my scissors out of a pocket inside. When I walked out he was trying to cut the pattern book that I was using. Well after all is said and done I sit back down and cross stitch another 3 rows and then look down.....

He had cut an inch into the side of the blanket through one row.

Ok so I am asking if any of you know how to fix this? (BTW I don't have pics of the damage but if you need to I can try to get some with the web cam seens how the same son broke my digital camera). I really would like to fix this and not have to throw it out.

Thanks in advance for your help!

6 answers to this question

If he cut horizontally into the stitches (like across a row) you could join the row above the cut with the row below the cut as if you were joining motifs then ease the repair back into the cut row - I can picture what I'm describing, but not sure I'm wording it right. There would most likely be a small visible "seam" but at least you wouldn't have to chuck it.

Thank you both. I figured I might be able to join both rows but I didn't know how well that would work so I might try that if it doesnt work I have been suggested to leave it the way it is and then when he has kids I can show him and tell him about the time he cut the blanket.

I would be tempted to add on a "cute" patch. Repair/secure it as best you can and then crochet a patch to go on top with obvious

"sewing stitches" to keep it in place.

I am thinking that Strawberry Shortcake used to use this in the fabrics for her dress, Or it could be some other 1960's doll craze. :rofl

I have a great fondness for dimensional crochet. love stuff on stuff :wlol

If it is at the top or bottom I would unravel those damaged rows and then re-crochet them. It would be harder to unravel from the bottom and also the crochet stitches would be flipped. If you have a border, you would also have to frog that and re-crochet.

If it's on the left or right of the blanket, I would follow empress busy bee's advice.

Archived