63 Squares Crochet Along

Donna

Hi Lynn,

Yep, you have the first step taken -- what is that saying, A Journey of a Thousand Miles Starts With One Step ?

Looks like you are on your journey ( and it's not NEARLY 1000 miles )

I would of course love your colors -- anything green sounds BEAUTIFUL to me !

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Melissa

Your colors sound very pretty ! And I think a different joining method would be fine ! I just started Crochet-Dude's Monet afghan today and he uses a braided -type joining method for it. It looks pretty easy to do and very lacey-looking .

When is the wedding day ? Just wondered how long you have to finish ?

They're getting married April 8. That's why I started this afghan NOW! :lol Also, TheCrochetDude's Monet is very high on my list~~in Dusky Rose for myself! I was planning on doing the simplified lattice he has posted with the Monet afghan, but still toying around with how wide I want the joinings.

Hi Melissa

You'll have time to get the afghan done by April, no sweat . Once you commit to it, just make it your goal, that you will work on it at least once a day. Even if you have other projects to do, spend some time on this each day . You'll see, you can do it !

I am making the Monet pattern in the Red Heart Ocean color. It is turning out pretty .

Drop in and let us know how you're coming on the 63 !

I keep seeing the booklet for this in the store and am torn as to whether or not I have the stamina for something of this magnitude! If I decide to do this, can I still "join" or is it too late??? I am currently doing the 35 Grannies Along so it would probably be after the first of the year but after seeing everyone else's finished projects with this, I really want to do it.

Thanks!

Howdy Donna !

It'd be great to have you join in here . I think making the 35 first would be great practice for you, because this one is definitely a lot harder and more challenging, but it gives you such a great sense of accomplishment when you finish it !

You will really learn a lot of new stitches too that you might not already know .

You can sign up anytime you want-- there are several that just recently signed on .

Let us know what you decide !

Hi Donna! My name is angels776 and i put a post that I wanted to start the afhgan 63 easy squares and I'm on the 44th already .I look for my post but I don't know where it has gone ,I don't know if I'm cheking in the wrong place or what please send me an email and let me kno how to check my post and where. thank you .have a nice day and God bless you all

I've decided to do the afghan a little differently, but I'm still using 63 squares and all the patterns are from the 63 Squares leaflet/book. Instead of doing 21 different squares in off-white, I'm doing all the off-white squares in the #21 block pattern. All the autumn red and dk. country blue squares are pretty much the same as the rose and green ones in the book, with just a couple of exceptions. I'm doing #63 in red (instead of #57), #55 in blue (instead of #52), and #34 in blue (instead of #11). I just prefer the look of 63, 55, and 34 over 57, 52, and 11. Plus, I think doing the afghan this way will be more to my sister's style and taste.

On a side note, when will the join form and members' list be available again? Just curious, that's all.

Hi! my name is angels776,married to a wounderful hby, We just moved to Batavia, New York 4 months ago and we love it .He works in a restaurant (maitenance-dishwasher and more) and I get to eat from there hhhhhuuuuummmm good.I am 45 years old he is only 34 "but" wea've ben married for 14 1/2 years already, Thank God for him.:clap:manyheart :manyheart :manyheart he enjoys my crocheting and lets me know how much he like's what I make. I have a couple things on my blog you are free to visit it and make a comment good or bad .:lol I want to join the 63 square ,and hope to finnish it soon .well most of the time I'm very busy doing eveything and don't have to much time but always try to get it for my crocheting,I am not here every day, but I hope I'm learning to post here .Well I surly will try to post more often.to share more with you guys .Thanks alot for your atension and hope I didn't bore you guys to death.God bless you all. I've ben having asma attacks today,so I'm going to take a therapy bye till tomorrow hopefully.thanks http://360.yahoo.com/angels776

Hi Melissa and Julie

I will check with Donna today and see when the web page will be updated with the new join form . :)

It sounds like you have a plan for your afghan , Melissa . Can't wait to see it finished ! It sounds very pretty .

and Julie -- wow, you have 44 squares done so far ! What colors are yours done in ?

:flower Hi guys ! Good afternoon to whom it aplies and so on lol.:hi Hey Juliekay I think where going whild here with so many julie's jajajaj so we are going to have to specify who is who.lol I'm angels776 so if it's me who you are asking what colors did I make mine it's the scrape type, I mean every color in the book but it looks nice at lease for me jajajajajajajajajajajajajajaj because I'm the one that's going to use it :cheer , unless hby like's it and take's it for him,but you know what I did I made him a nascar pillow in the material they sell at walmart to see if he doesen't even see my 63.Take care all of you guys God bless :yay

:hug Hi! blue How are you It's angels776 ,I am fearly new trying to learn how and when to post but i coilden't let your beautiful scarf pas me on tha gave me an idea,I'm from Batavia New York and that will work good for me.thanks for the idea.:cheer :cheer :cheer

Hello irikel2 :( , I"m stuck darnet with that 44 i cannot get it help me pleeeeeeeeease lol :think until I get this one I am not going to keep on because I wont make it if I leave it.so I am backed up .please whoever help meeeeee:(

Do you have photos posted of your squares yet ?

Not yet. I haven't gotten the camera out yet. I'm waiting until I have the afghan finished before I do pics.

I've also started looking at doing four solid color afghans for my kids using the 63 squares. Their afghans will have one of each square and will be joined in the same color as the squares.

It's now 11/23 and the last time I posted progress was on 11/4. *sigh* I did manage to complete Sq 5 and currently Sq 53 is in progress.

I'm still finding it hard to pick up my hook on this project. I find it very discouraging to do a couple of rows only to find out your square is only 6.5 inches or even 7.25. I've frogged so many squares and have used different hooks to complete these squares. Let's see...

Sq2: H hook

Sq5: J hook

Sq15: J hook

Sq16: J hook

Sq21: J hook

Sq34: J hook

Sq62: I hook

Sq40: J hook did not work on Sq40 so I had to frog it and I will try again with an I hook.

Sq53: I'm currently working on Sq53 and I'm using a J hook.

Ok...now that I look at what I typed out, I guess the J hook is the one for me so I guess I shouldn't complain. :lol Don't worry, I'm not going to give up on this project. I have been learning so much about the different stitches. I've enjoyed most of them. I really dislike Sq53 though. Also, when I first started this project I did the Trinity Stitch. (I was using a different color then so I can't even count that sqaure toward this project.) I thought it was a neat stitch but it seemed hard to get my hook in and I got major hand cramps. I must have been crocheting too tight.

Well...that's my progress and my rambling for today. I look forward to completing and assembling my first row of squares! I'm really getting close. After I finish Sq53 I will only have 3 left to do. When I finish Sq53 I think I'm going to take a break and pick this back up again next week. (Sq53 is also a hand cramper for me.)

Happy Turkey day to everyone! I'm off to go shopping now! :)

HI Gina

Yes, some of the squares are hard to get your gauge just right on . I have told some of the other ladies that it wouldn't hurt to put an extra row of edging on some of the squares that turn out too small, or do one row less of edging on ones that are too big .I have already made a complete one of these and just today started on my second one. The squares will all turn out fine if you follow that edging rule . I think that's why so many people get discouraged with this afghan... it is next to impossible to get the gauge perfect on every single square .

Glad to hear you are sticking with it though ! Don't give up, just keep at it and you'll have a beautiful finished afghan one of these days .

Wow....so many hook changes ....I used the H hook with all the squares ...I'm glad they worked out cause I don't like all this hook changing stuff.:hook I'm also using the H hook for my 35 squares one and up to now they are turning out good. I don't crochete too tight nor too loose.

Has anyone used a wool type yarn for this afghan? Like maybe Patons Decor or Plymouth Encore? I'm just kinda curious as to what an afghan looks like with this type of yarn and I'm seriously considering joining this crochet along.

Hi Olga -

Yes, I used the same sized hook for my first one too, but with the Simply Soft ,I think it's going to be different . The squares look nice and neat ,but are not turning out as close to the same sizes as my other one did .

I think it depends on the yarn you use and the tension of your work that determines how the squares turn out .

Archived