Taking Baby Blankets to the next step

Goochie13

Question

Hi all! This is my very first post on this forum!

When my oldest was born seven years ago, my grandmother and mother-in-law had what can only be described as a "crochet-off" during my baby shower: Between them, I literally opened about 30 crocheted receiving blankets (and the baby was born in August!). Luckily, for my second baby three years later I warned them to BACK AWAY from their hooks, since I was well-stocked.

The thing is now, the blankets are for the most part tucked away in a cedar chest -- a couple have come out to play with the dolls and stuffed animals, but I'm trying to think of what else to do with them. Part of me thinks I should donate them, but the stubborn part of me is worried that I'll regret giving away their handiwork. Still, I don't know that my kids would want to wrap their newborns in 20-odd-year old blankets down the road.

My question is this (and please forgive me for taking a while to get to it!): Is it feasible for me to try to join several of them together to make a "patchwork afghan," if you will? Are there any patterns, guidelines or resources out there that show that it's been done before? I just want to see if it's realistic before I start messing with them!

Thanks so much!!!

7 answers to this question

Well, I have 30-year old crocheted baby blankets that I used with my daughter, so I wouldn't give them ALL away.

Perhaps you could join some of them to make sort of a sampler twin-bed size afghan? Maybe border them with all the same kind of small granny square, to get unity, then join them and go around with a nice edging?

If you find you really do have too many, donate the ones that aren't your favorites to Catholic Charities. They give away baby stuff to new moms that have limited means.

I got maternity clothes and Ellie's first baby clothes from them, and a crocheted blanket would have been awesome. The only blankets they had were those little dinky flannelette things that get stained in 30 seconds and ripped in 45.

Does each child have a favorite? Ask them if they want it to pass on to their own kids. As for joining them, it depends on the size and color combos. Donation is always a great idea.

Ellie 13

I have kept the ones I have made and that is going back to 1974 starting with the ones I made for our first son and going on with junior size. We use them for lapghans and small throws.

I would truely regret getting rid of them.

I had tons of crocheted blankets for my kids, and when my first grandchild was born last year, my daughter used them all (plus the new ones I made just for him!). The afghan idea is good, but I think I'd just save them and give them to the first new mom and let them be her problem! Then, if she doesn't want some of them, give them to charity. I'm so glad I didn't get rid of mine, tho. They brought back a lot of memories of their babyhood and of the people who made them.

Archived