Bare Minimum Size of Hooks Needed

What is the bare minimum size of hooks that a crocheter really needs to have on hand?

I've been crocheting for about a year. I'm a very simple crocheter in that I only crochet the basic single crochet or double crochet stitch, basic afghans and potholders, and am attempting a very simple in the round purse. I am not a fancy stitcher. I don't need steel hooks, thread is too small for me to stitch right now.

I own the large size Crystalites (L-P), a Susan Bates Q, and Lion Brand S. These seem to be the sizes I use the most. I did go out and buy a set of Susan Bates Silvalume hooks, today, in F-K, because I hate my Boye hooks. (They drag, split my yarn, and drop my yarn constantly).

Anyway, I just wanted to know if F-S is basically all I need? Boye carries B-E but I just don't really think I will need to stitch anything that small. I know this was long. I appreciate any help.

I mostly use the G and H, sometimes an I or J or K is needed for heavier yarns.

You sound pretty set with what you own right now. It's always fun to look and buy new hooks when you are able.

Also, if you start more than one project at a time, you may need two or more of the same size hooks so that you can keep one with each project.

Look for them on sale. Hobby Lobby puts hooks and other items for half price about every two months. Then stock up. Or use a coupon at Michael's, JoAnn's or other stores to save a little money.

Also, garage sales are good places to find hooks. Just check them out. You can get hooks for about 25 cents, if you are lucky.

I hope this helps. Keep crocheting and having a good time.

:manyheart

i agree with everyone else my most used are G and H but i make a lot of fingering weight garments so i also use E and F A LOT ... been making tanktops and the like. you can always buy just one hook here or there as you find you need them rather than plunking down for the set if you dont know if you'll ever use them all

I use "G" and "H" more often than the others...next is "J"...oh...and "F" for clothes. I do find it handy to have atleast one of each size ("B"-"S")...just in case...you never know what you will need it for...but when you do need it...you have it.

It would depend on what you are most often doing. But in my experience a kit of F-K will hold you for a good long while.

I did eventually purchase a Crochet Master set not long ago - mostly just to have that nifty zip-up case.

I use G-H-I the most, with an F hook occasionally in there. I have several G hooks, two H hooks, three I hooks, and two J hooks.

I have multiples of other hooks, but only cause they were given to me.

I've actually gone out and bought the extra G hooks. I crochet loose, so I have to go down a hook size, usually, so I'm guessing H is used by many people, too.

That said - don't say thread is too small! I think size 3 thread (thicker) is actually easier to learn some stitches on than with WW yarn. I know it wasn't until I worked a project in the round with size 3 thread that I realized I'd been joining rounds in completely the wrong spot. It was easier to see where I'd made the mistake AND easier to see where to correct it with the thread.

I find that I don't have hooks I haven't actually bought for a particular project at a particular time... "Oh I don't have a 'J' I better pick one up" kind of thing...

though I also have a few tiny ones for general household use, pulling threads through to the back of a snag... pulling a string through a tag for a finished item.... that sort of thing.

IMHO most people do NOT need to have a full set. Though, yeah, with amigurumi the "magic trick" is to use smaller hooks than what the yarn calls for. (Or if winging it, do some test stitches with a hook about 2 sizes smaller for what you'd usually pick for that yarn.)

Archived