Traveling question

I am flying Southwest Airlines this Saturday. According to the TSA website (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm) crochet needles are allowed on planes.

My friend travels a lot and said good luck getting them on the plane. I was wondering how many of you have traveled recently and what kind of luck you had on boarding with crochet hooks.

I was thinking if I brought a plastic hook, I would have less of a problem.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

I would strongly advise switching out to your plastic ones.

Needles are allowed in your luggage but I do know for a fact metal knitting needles are absolutely taken for carry on and not allowed.

Its really the discretion of the individual inspecting your items, so dont risk it. Smack your metals and woods in the lug and take plastic to keep you occupied in flight.

I agree - take plastic - I always do, just in case TSA is picky that day and doesn't want to let them thru - then I won't care. I even went out and specifically bought a set of cheap white plastic ones for traveling.

In the last two months, I have been able to take any kind of crochet hook on the plane I wanted too. It all depends on the current security level of the nation and more importantly I think the mood of the particular TSA screener.

So far, plastic is the one that makes it every time - no matter what.

I traveled from Russia to Austria to Washington DC to New Mexico in February. My crochet hooks were not a problem. Knitting needles are forbidden on some international flights... I had them taken away once last summer when I was flying to Russia from Italy. But never my crochet hooks. Steel, plastic or wooden it has not mattered!

You should be okay with crochet hooks and I've seen people in airports crocheting.

Just to be safe, you can always print out the TSA page and take it with you, just in case there is any question.

I've flown southwest 3 times in the last 6 months, all three times I had a full set of aluminum hooks in my carryon, with my yarn. No one said anything at all, going or coming back. Im leaving Thursday and plan on doing the same thing. Don't forsee any problems...

Thanks for your quick responses. This puts me at ease. I guess I am just going to have to start a new project that I can do with my large plastic hook.

I have a VERY long travel day and hope I can get something accomplished!

Actually you can pick up the white plastic Bates hooks just about anywhere they have yarn supplies. The white plastic is surprisingly comfy to work with and really smooth. You might like them. I'd prefer to try to keep in flight projects on a smaller scale. there's just not a whole lotta room.

I've travelled domestically and internationally many times (Wichita to/from LA, NYC, DC, Chicago, London, and London to/from Norway) in the past few years and have taken hooks every time. Never any problem. I've taken aluminum as well as wood hooks and bamboo and wooden knitting needles. Never an issue.

OK. This is coming from someone who flies as often as every week some times. I've been traveling with my metal hooks for well over a year now, even into Canada and Mexico. I used to use the plastic, but I didn't like them and figured I'd give it a shot with my metals and none got taken, I almost never even get a second look either.

Mind you, I don't do thread crochet, so thread hooks might get a second look.

Also, you CAN take snips etc on board planes. I had a cheapo pair of scisors in my bag and the TSA person double checked them. He said I could have them as long as the blades were less than 4" :eek in length. I'm thinking I'd stick with sharp things less than 4" total length.

I agree with RoseRed, smaller projects work best. Baby blankets are about as big as I go. (The actualy work great because they act as a blankie for me as I'm working!) This week I'm taking a shrug to work on, next week probably a tanktop or a baby blankie to finish up.... Dishclothes are always a great take-along, small, usefull and come in so many varieties!

when I went to Florida several months ago I took along my favorite hook I/9 in metal. I had no problem with it. I think I might have taken another one with me as well so my sister could help out. I put all my crocheting supplies in a ziplock baggie (scissors, hooks, needles, etc.) So if they had any questions I could just pull out that bag with all questionable items in it.

But like I said, we had no problems.

I just got back from a flight to San Francisco. I carried a small bag with my folding scissors, yarn needle, hooks and thread. While going through the security area I did notice the guy was going to run the bin through a second time, while he did that I told him what was in the bag. He smiled and said yup that's what it looks like! They were thread hooks so he needed to check them a second time I guess. Not quite so obvious. No problems on the return flight either except he did the same thing, checked the bag twice.

I flew just a few weeks ago and I took my crochet hook and four skeins of yarn.

I only use metal hooks, and I planned to give the big, bad TSA men my Big Sad Eyes if they tried to steal my hook - not that it would have worked, but it would have been funny - and it turns out that the only thing they got mad at me for was using a suitcase of my mothers and not knowing she leaves a spare tube of toothpaste in a little pocket...

Archived