Ideas for a skirt?

Momcrochets

Question

Okay, I know there are several skirt patterns out there, especially recently. For a while I've been wanting to design one, and now, even more so...as all the skirt patterns I've seen are straight or "pencil skirt" style. I want something that flares a bit. So, time to design.:hook

I have a pretty good idea what I want to do. So my questions are to other skirt makers...what yarn did you use...fingering? size 3, thread? how did it work? Also, about how much yardage did you need? If you made a straight, I figure I'll at least double the yardage to make sure I have enough for "flare"...also, I'm thinking long skirt, not knee or mini. I'm thinking of using size 3 or maybe thread, but I have no idea on yardage right now. maybe it's a brain fart?:think

I saw a cute one last weekend, The lady wearing it said she bought it at a boutique in FL. The top of the skirt was denim (like a jean skirt) but only for about 6-10 inches, then it went straight to a nice drape-y crocheted skirt with liner. looked really neat. inspired me to GET GOING already! :lol

11 answers to this question

I've made 3 skirts: Daisy Skirt (free pattern), Victoria Secret, and Violet Beauregard.

The Daisy Skirt, I made with heavier fashion crochet thread. I can't think of the name of it, but it is definitely heavier and I only wear that skirt in the winter. A link to the pic is in my signature.

The Victoria Secret skirt, I used size 3 Royale Fashion Crochet Thread.

The (not-so) Violet Beauregard I used Aunt Lydia's shimmer fashion thread.

If I had to choose my favorite material, it is the size 3 thread. The others are quite a bit heavier.

Good luck on your design. I hope you'll share when you're done.

Oh PLEASE design something with more give, especially around the waist. Straight skirts and pencil skirts are not flattering on women with fat pooches (c'est moi!). Something with swish! I :manyheart swish.

I wish you all the best on your design adventure! I don't have any design advice, but I wanted to cheer you on! :cheer

~ Joy

Thanks! now if I can figure out some yardage...

Your cheers make me want to start tonight!! (But I need to get some thread first! :nod :lol )

(looking at your skirts now, beebold...excuse the dialup slowness I suffer) :)

I'm thinking I'll go with size 3. size 10 would take FOREVER! even if it does have better availability in large size skein thingys. ;) And it will definitely have swish...unlike models, I have a butt, hips, and a pooch :P

I've used size 3 before, and it was really a good weight, and easy to work with. yay, I'm getting too excited about this...

Hi, I'm a newbie and I just wanted to say I am so excited and encouraged by all of the fantastic talent on this message board!! The creativity is amazing!! I am working on some scarves, using patterns that are more complicated than I have ever done before and after ripping out the yarn several times and then seeing all of your work, I am ready to try again!! Thanks for the inspiration!! Carey

I use this software for help in my clothing designing. http://www.greatknitdesigns.com/ I personally prefer thin materials such as size 5 or less. I have some tops made in size 3 and they are to heavy for Kentucky summers. I've also knitted a skirt for my daughter from Caron Simply Soft and she says it is very warm in winter. If a knitted acrylic is warm in winter, I'd say a crocheted acrylic skirt would be awful to wear.

I started an airy skirt in acrylic with a size K hook, but I got bored. :blush

I like this the idea of the denim skrit. You could use an old pair of jeans and build from there.

I saw a cute one last weekend, The lady wearing it said she bought it at a boutique in FL. The top of the skirt was denim (like a jean skirt) but only for about 6-10 inches, then it went straight to a nice drape-y crocheted skirt with liner. looked really neat. inspired me to GET GOING already! :lol

I'm currently making a dress from a tunic length shirt. I've attached the thread to the bottom of the shirt and am working a basic shell st to the length I want.

If you like thread but hate the time and small hook, you could always double it up and use like a D hook. It'd still have the lightness and drape that way.

Doubled thread is not light and drapey! I am using doubled thread to make a t-shirt dress and it is heavy. I had thought to frog it and start over with a single strand, but the one who ordered said to leave it. She noticed that the t-shirt is being stretched by the heaviness of the doubled thread, but said nothing when I told her I could start over with one strand.

Archived