Doubling yarn?

Burgandy

I am still very very new to knitting ( is it supposed to go that slow??) and was wondering how to do the math when I am using 2 strands of yarn. It seems to be easier for me than just one strand (I don't understand it either). If I am using plain old RHSS and using two strands, what size needles should I be using? Are there any conversion charts anywhere?

Hi Erika

I'll reply to your post since no one else has yet, but I won't do you a blooming bit of good. I am also in the dark on this one, like when you crochet, it's easy to tell what size hook would work well for a certain yarn, like you'd use an H or I for WW yarn , probably an F or G for baby sport, etc.

I am as lost as you on figuring this out with knitting needles, like how would a size 8 needle compare to a crochet hook ? what size would it actually be in CROCHET terms ?

I have seen patterns that use double strand WW for a knitted item , and some of them say to use like a 10 1/2 sized needles , others may say 13.

I guess this entire post has you more confused than ever. :lol

Sorry I wasn't any help, but I have been wondering the same thing about needle size vs yarn size .

Are you using a specific pattern? I made an afghan using 2 strands of worsted weight and the pattern called for size 13 (which is 9 mm) needles. I would guess it all depends on the type of pattern stitches and the weight of the yarn you are using

Yes, knitting does go very slowly compared to crochet, at least that's what I found ;)

I once saw advice to use needles the appoximate size of the yarn. Lay a strand of yarn, or two strands if you're using double strand, beside the needle. Find a needle that has about the same diameter as the yarn. However, the best way would be to knit some swatchs using different sized needles. This will show you how the finished fabric will look. Bigger needles give a looser, more drapy fabric. Small needles might make too stiff a fabric. Experiment and have fun!

I remember a Knitty Gritty episode that said when knitting with two strands that you add the mm size of needles. For instance if you are using Red Heart and it calls for a 4.5mm (US 7) size needle, then two strands would use a 9mm which would be a size US 13.

I guess when I knit I usually make things that don't have a specific gauge, so I tend to pick the needles that give the best look, I've been doing it for a while, so at this point I just reach and grab what I feel like working with. I think starting with the mm rule is a good way to get the feel, but with you can always change to get the look you want! Goodluck!

Archived