Can someone help me?

mustang lady

Question

I have found a pattern for a baby sacque that I want to try . It calls for Royal Perele No. 8. What type of thread is this and where might I find some. All that I have seen around Campbellsville, Ky is size 10 thread. I appreciate any help that someone could give me. This is the first time for me to make something wearable and I want to do it right. If you know of something that I could use instead of this thread that would work just as well and might be easier to find I would appreciate that too. Thanks so much. I have found that everyone here is so helpful and encouraging.

13 answers to this question

I dont know if this ll help you :think but.... Size 8 thread is thinner than 10, i use DMC 8 thread, it s cotton, so maybe you could use this? :manyheart

Good Morning,

Royal is a brand of thread and in not made now. If the pattern calls for size 8 then the thread is thicker than say a size 10. Paton made pearl thread and it is finger weight equivalent now and Royal is the same type. You will not be able to find Paton as I have had mine for a long time. Royal isn't on the market now that I know of. Use fingering or baby yarn. Clothing requires thicker yarn than a doily .

Mathwizard

Yes, size 8 is thicker than size 10. The smaller the number, the greater the thickness of the thread. If size 10 is what is available, go ahead and use it; your doily will be slightly smaller in size. Do a test gauge to see. You can also use a larger hook to achieve your gauge.

They are saying use a Steel Crochet No. 6. It is a pattern that I found on the internet at a site called crochetkitty.com. I really appreciate all the help that everyone has given me.

Wow, that's really tiny. I just checked something I did with size ten thread and #7 steel hook and I was getting 8 sc or dc per inch and 4 dc rows per inch. It seems like to get that gauge you'd have to use thread even smaller than 10 or crochet super tight.

Hi Mustang Lady,

I looked a baby outfit that my mom didn't finish before she died. It is made with fingering yarn. The yarn is fine and I have some size 8 thread. The thichness is the same. Yarns are interchangable. If you get cotton perle by DMC you will find it is very soft for the baby's skin as is fingering yarn. Most baby outfits are made of fingering yarn and materials soft to the baby skin. It is up to you what you use. Perle can be expensive and fingering usually isn't.

I would advise doing a swatch to check the gauge. If you have fingering yarn try it for gauge or if a friend has some ask for a bit and make a guage swatch.

I have made baby outfits and used mostly fingering yarn but it is really up to you.

Mathwizard

Thanks Mathwizard. i think I will try your suggestion. I really want to try and make a baby sweater. First of all this would be my first attempt at making something wearable and it would probably be easier to start with something small like this and I can always save it for a baby shower gift. Seems like lately I am always needing baby gifts more than ever. Must be something in the water here in Campbellsville, KY

Archived