Plastic Bag CAL

PLASTIC TABLECLOTHS... the cheap .99 disposable kind you get at Walmart ... you can get them in all colors and if cut the length of the tablecloth... you won't have very many knots!!! I just tie a double knot to connect the lengths and it wasn't a problem at all. I cut them 1" wide and on this project I used a G hook.

I thought maybe that's what it was, at least I had the same thought. My sister will be bringing me a package of blue and white plastic bags from Venezuela:yay so that should be cool!

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gene, that bag looks terrific! I love how your bag looks designed - mine just look, well, recycled!

Liz, it sounds horrible, but if your wrists are hurting you, go easy. Don't work with plarn for a few days, or set a timer and only work on it for 15 minutes a day or something. Don't push too much and ruin your wrists forever.

Peggy, good golly, you get excited quick! I love how you only waited FOUR HOURS between your first post and deciding that this CAL has died! Cracks me up. The tablecloths are a great, creative idea! I hate to say it, but even at US$0.99 a piece, I'm still not willing to buy them! I really love the idea of using trash that would otherwise never be used - the bread bags, and the shopping bags . . . The tablecloths are a terrific way to get colors, though.

Your little kitty purse is darling - and durable, I bet!

~ Joy

Gene, that bag looks terrific! I love how your bag looks designed - mine just look, well, recycled!

I hate to say it, but even at US$0.99 a piece, I'm still not willing to buy them! I really love the idea of using trash that would otherwise never be used - the bread bags, and the shopping bags . . . The tablecloths are a terrific way to get colors, though.

Your little kitty purse is darling - and durable, I bet!

~ Joy

JOY.... THE REASON I POSTED THIS WAS BECAUSE... I'm GIVING EVERYONE A HEAD'S UP ... SO THAT THE NEXT TIME YOU SEE A PARTY BEING CLEANED UP... YOU WIPE OFF THOSE TABLECLOTHS AND RESALVAGE THEM SO THEY DON'T GO IN THE TRASH CAN!!!! :yes Peggy

Hmm... recycling tablecoths, that would be great. I mean, just clear off the trash, hang them over the fence or the line and hose 'em down... (mine always end up with food/soda/who knows what all over them....)

Very pretty little purse.

Gene, love that bag! I'm sure it'll be very handy and it looks great. Your grandaughter sure seems to be interested as well :lol

Mine's still sitting here, looking forlorn and barely started... I'm home for 2 weeks, maybe I'll get some inspiration by then. (Also, need to get the AC in, it's too humid and sticky to work with plastic right now...)

JOY.... THE REASON I POSTED THIS WAS BECAUSE... I'm GIVING EVERYONE A HEAD'S UP ... SO THAT THE NEXT TIME YOU SEE A PARTY BEING CLEANED UP... YOU WIPE OFF THOSE TABLECLOTHS AND RESALVAGE THEM SO THEY DON'T GO IN THE TRASH CAN!!!! :yes Peggy

OH! Sorry, I missed the whole "disposable" part of the tablecloths. You can tell how many picnics I get invited to! :wink

I do think it's a great way to get different colors. Creative thinking!

~ Joy

Liz, it sounds horrible, but if your wrists are hurting you, go easy. Don't work with plarn for a few days, or set a timer and only work on it for 15 minutes a day or something. Don't push too much and ruin your wrists forever.

~ Joy

Was there another Liz on here? My wrists are fine!

Was there another Liz on here? My wrists are fine!

Whoops! I meant Becky, who was playing off to the doctor that she didn't know why her wrists hurt so badly. Sorry, Liz, my brain-switch got flipped!

~ Joy

Another note about wrists, hands, or anything else hurting when crocheting, I usually crochet when nursing my dd and I use a boppy pillow but now I use the pillow to crochet even when I'm not nursing. It makes everything so much more comfortable. If I can't get to the boppy if she's napping or something, I get my big body pillow and wrap it around me but the boppy is better.

I got my bigger hook yesterday so back to the plarn now. But I found out that I can't crochet with plarn while nursing my dd. She won't eat because she's curious about all the crinkling going on behind her.:lol So I guess I will have to neglect some housework to get this done.:devil

Well, I am finally getting somewhere with this plarn. After frogging this bag about 10 times, I finally like the way it is turning out. The only good thing about frogging plarn.....I've found it's easier to work with when it's been "handled" more.

The bag is only about 1/2 way done....I figure about 9 more rows and it will be a good size grocery bag. Not sure what I'm going to do with the handles for this one....trying to decide between two shorter handles or one thick long handle.....

BagofBags1.jpg

Well, I am finally getting somewhere with this plarn. After frogging this bag about 10 times, I finally like the way it is turning out. The only good thing about frogging plarn.....I've found it's easier to work with when it's been "handled" more.

...Not sure what I'm going to do with the handles for this one....trying to decide between two shorter handles or one thick long handle.....

The bag is coming along great!!! :manyheart

You are right about the plarn being easier once handled...I've had my fair share of frogging plastic too :hook

As for the handles being short or long be sure to know what you're going to use it for and if you want to hold it on your shoulder or down by your side:think Either way it's easy to redo the handles if you don't like them the first time! I've done that too! ;)

On my first bag I decided to do short handles. It looked great, but when it came time to carry it I discovered I really need to be able to put it over my shoulder. So I did a little frogging and made handles that were an in-between size. Now I can carry it by my side or throw it over my shoulder. Sorry, still haven't figured out how to place a picture on here. My camera takes pictures that are too big for the website.

My first bag was made with two in between length to allow carrying by hand or shoulder. My next one will be the same length, but one wide strap.

You are right about frogging plarn - it's much easier to work with the second (and subsequent times).

Okay everyone, I've FINALLY started making something out of my plarn. :clap Yay me! I don't know what it's going to be yet...but it's looking like a pencil cup.

It's odd going from plarn to yarn...the smaller hook and the soft yarn is luxurious after the plarn!

Tamugrad02 ~ Great bag so far! I need to do something small right now...then hopefully I'll go larger again.

Okay, I think I've got this picture thing figured out. My bag stretched a little the first time I used it, but I think it still looks alright. I think I will use a tighter stitch on my next bag.

I really like seeing all the bags everyone has done. They look great. I really like the brown and white on your bag CrochetDad. If I can locate some different colored bags, I may play around with that for a while.

Well, here it is....:P

plasticbag1.jpg

Cherry

Thanks for the compliments! I've used this bag quite a lot already. The bags are just black and white, so I guess it must just be the light that makes it look a little silver.

It's a very easy pattern. I just used hdc on the bottom in an oval and then used a mesh pattern called on open checker stitch.

Row 1: 3 ch (counts as first dc), 1 dc in next 2 st, *3 ch, sk 3 ch, 1 dc in next 3 st and repeat from * all the way around. Connect the round with a sl in the top of the first 3 ch. Turn.

Row 2: 3 ch, skip first dc, 2 dc in first 3 ch sp, *3 ch, skip 3 dc, 3 dc in next 3 ch sp and repeat from * around. connect with a sl st. Turn.

Repeat these rows until it is as tall as you want it.

Hdc around the top and sc around the handles. It worked up really easily and quickly. Give it a try, I think you'll like it.

Cherry

I almost forgot - the open checker works best in stitches in a multiple of 6, so be sure the oval part of your bag ends with a stitch count in a multiple of 6.

Here's my plastic bag holder made out of plastic bags. It's not very pretty but is very useful. It's hanging on the corner of the changing table for when we need to wrap up, well, something smelly.:lol My dd also likes to chew on it so I take it down for her playtime sometimes.

th_P1010068.jpg

Cherry I love your bag....the pattern is really great!! :manyheart

Okay, I think I've got this picture thing figured out. My bag stretched a little the first time I used it, but I think it still looks alright. I think I will use a tighter stitch on my next bag.

I really like seeing all the bags everyone has done. They look great. I really like the brown and white on your bag CrochetDad. If I can locate some different colored bags, I may play around with that for a while.

Well, here it is....:P

plasticbag1.jpg

Cherry

Archived