Plastic Bag CAL

I've been toying around with the idea of crocheting with plastic...and I sure have a lot of bags that I haven't had a chance to drop off at the recycling center. Sounds like a real adventure and I need a challenge. This will be my first CAL, so be patient with me please!!

Any and all tips would be appreciated.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi :hi

sorry i havnt had any input :(

havnt had time to do any crocheting with the plastic bags

so i had a spare minute today and had a go, to tell you the truth it was anoying me :lol so i gave up

but i will keep checking in to see what you guys are up to and be a cheerleader :clap:yay

Okay, I got my "plarn" made and started my beach bag. It took me a little bit to get used to the feel of the plarn, but I think I'm going to like it. I'm going to have a solid bottom and net sides on my bag, possibly a pocket or two depending on how it works out. I'll post a picture when I finish if I can figure out how to do it. I have some old VHS tapes and may try something with those when I finish this bag. Thanks for the tip, I had never thought of using anything other than yarn before.

Hi all! I am very intrigued by the idea of crcheting with plarn. I started a bag last night....just intending to see how I likes the feel of working with the plarn....and before I knew it...I had used up the whole big ball that I had made!!! I made more and I'm going to finish the small tote bag I started. I think I really enjoy the plarn...it works up really fast!

hi :hi

sorry i havnt had any input :(

havnt had time to do any crocheting with the plastic bags

so i had a spare minute today and had a go, to tell you the truth it was anoying me :lol so i gave up

but i will keep checking in to see what you guys are up to and be a cheerleader :clap:yay

:oops I haven't yet either...and I have a plarn (thanks Joy I love this word!) ball laying about...I better get my butt into gear! :hook and hopefully I mean it this time...!

Well...here is what I've got done on the bag right now. I have no pattern...just kind of winging it! It's not really flat on the bottom like I wanted...but hopefully the next one will turn out better...now that I've gotten the hang of this plarn stuff!! :lol

plarnbag5.jpg

Well...here is what I've got done on the bag right now. I have no pattern...just kind of winging it! It's not really flat on the bottom like I wanted...but hopefully the next one will turn out better...now that I've gotten the hang of this plarn stuff!! :lol

I just recently had a tote that wasn't square and did not lay flat. I used just a bit of light heat from a blow dryer to flatten it out and it worked wonderfully. Try it out but be careful to apply just a small amount of heat to shape.

I just recently had a tote that wasn't square and did not lay flat. I used just a bit of light heat from a blow dryer to flatten it out and it worked wonderfully. Try it out but be careful to apply just a small amount of heat to shape.

Thanks! I'll have to try that when its done!! :)

Swerbie, is your plarn a beigy-pink? That's awesome! All the plastic bags readily available to me are white, grey, or an uninspired tan.

My brother saw my plarn bag for the first time tonight, and then he proceeded to tell me a story about a woman in her twenties he knows who is into "avant-gaurde" fashion, which he claims includes a yellow plarn floor-length skirt that she made. Crochet, knit, or other technique was beyond the scope of his knowledge. I thought it was pretty cool, in any case. Wish I could see it.

~ Joy

Joy,

My plarn is your basic run of the mill tan. I think it was the lighting when I took the pic (I have maroon lamp shades) that made it look slightly pink. I wish I could find some colored bags, though. It would really spruce it up a bit I think!

Is it too late to join this CAL? I've already started making my plarn......now I just have to figure out what to make...:thinkMaybe a bag and then a doormat.....we'll see and I'll let everyone know.

me too me too! lol - i want to join the CAL. gonna prepare some plarn tonight if i can get the kiddo's to help me.

I got some more yellow Grocery Outlet bags from my daughter, so they are cut and wound in a ball. I made myself a kitchen counter basket for onions and fruit. Just a round bottom and straight sides. Daughter saw it and requested one or more for when they go camping. So off the crochet!

I'm not sure where they came from, but I found two tiny (barely larger than sandwich bags) dark purple plastic bags. I made a strand from them, but it is necessarily quite short - maybe four feet. I'm thinking about making a star or other decorative emblem to embellish my white plarn bag with.

Has anyone made anything with clear or mostly clear bags? I'm wondering how clear or translucent the final project might be . . .

~ Joy

I haven't tried anything with translucent bags. I only have one from Wegmans (man I love that grocery store, wish it was closer). I was thinking about making a special trip there to get more to see what it would be like.

I still haven't gotten any further on mine. This travel has been kicking my butt the last 5 weeks and I've got one more before I catch a one week break.

Well, I finished my first bag and showed it to my mom and sisters. They loved it. I'm starting a second one, but I'm not sure I like the pattern yet. I'll try to post a picture of the finished bag soon. I have to figure out how to make my picture small enough to fit the website guidelines.

wip - plastic bag

wip - teddybear

I'm finding that I love making the plarn itself, but lately I haven't been very motivated to make something WITH the plarn . . .

I started a doormat, and frogged it only a shortways into it. I started a bag and frogged it. Hmmmm . . .

~ Joy

Joy,

For the doormat, did you use a wider cut of the bags for the plarn or just the usual 1 inch? At least that's what I've been using.

I'm finding that I love making the plarn itself, but lately I haven't been very motivated to make something WITH the plarn . . .

I started a doormat, and frogged it only a shortways into it. I started a bag and frogged it. Hmmmm . . .

~ Joy

Archived