Good Beginner Patterns?

Twinnish

Ok, so I can knit a rectangle. Actually, that's all I can knit! I can cast on, knit stitch and bind off. I've purled juuuust a little. I've joined the shawl KAL and will be doing that pattern, which in essence is a big rectangle.

My question to the wise, experienced knitters is: what's next beyond the rectangle? Can you suggest a natural progression? First rectangles, then...what? What's a teeny bit harder, but not too much? Maybe you throw in the names of good books for newbies or links to patterns? It just seems like when I look through patterns, they seem way too complicated, even when the pattern is supposed to be easy. All that new jargon to learn!

The books I've been using are: Good ole SNB and The Knit Stitch by Sally Melville, but even the patterns in SNB (not so much the other) seem daunting to me.

Sorry if I seem like a big dummy, but as far as knitting goes, I am!

Thanks in advance!

Claire,

Someone told me to try this:

Cast On 16

*k4 p4 k4 p4

k4 p4 k4 p4

k4 p4 k4 p4

k4 p4 k4 p4

p4 k4 p4 k4

p4 k4 p4 k4

p4 k4 p4 k4

p4 k4 p4 k4*

repeat from * to * for length

What it turns into is a simple thing basketweave type scarf. What it teaches you is k'ing and p'ing evenly and counting stitches - and it provides a texture pattern...which so many knitting patterns are.

This is what I am working on right now.

Once you know the basic stitches, then the world is open to you. Try going through Knitting Pattern Central (the sister site to crochet pattern central) and look around. I know she has links to tutorials to the different stitches.

Maybe try your hand at making some dishcloths with different combos of stitches.

Or all those squares you have been making can be pieced together for an afghan.

Good luck, dear.

I have to agree with you, Kitty, once you know how to knit and purl then the world is open :D

I went from practice swatches to making dishcloths at first, I found quite a few cute patterns on Knitting pattern central, then I quickly progressed to a little sweater and hat with cables and different stitch patterns, and have done much more involved projects since.

I found it was easy for me to progress quickly with knitting because I had such a good foundation in crocheting, so reading patterns and such was easier and made more sense. I also found a lot of help on sites like Knitting Help, where there are videos to watch of different techniques.

I think the next step should be a hat worked in the round. It'll teach you how to get over any fear of working with circular needles, because you'll see how easy and quick it is.

I'd like to suggest dishclothes. Especially the ones with "designs" in them - that is good for practicing your knits and purls and getting use to counting.

This is the first one I made when I was learning:

http://purpleduckie.com/alienpatternpagev2.htm

Here are a lot of other ones to choose from:

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/dishcloths.php

If you want something a little different than a square or rectangle, you can try the Calorimetry head band in Knitty's winter issue.

It uses the short row technique. Don't be intimidated by it, it's actually really straighforward, and you will get lots of practice knitting and purling as it's all ribbed.

I made one and couldn't believe how fast it went. :D

I've been hogging over this website for about 2 months and made Tempting, the sweater. It is very refreshingly easy so I decided to share. The only knowledge you need is knitting in the round using a circular needle. I found it lots of fun as it didn't require lots of attention, just mindless needling.

The link is http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTtempting.html

Knitty is probably the knit version of crochetme. Enjoy the pattern and explore the website :hook

hehe, that's an interesting question. I did finish the "Tempting" sweater but the minute I wore it, I realized I have too much cottage cheese around my midriff. So I didn't take any pictures. Maybe some couple more months in the gym and I'll have a picture with the sweater?

hehe, that's an interesting question. I did finish the "Tempting" sweater but the minute I wore it, I realized I have too much cottage cheese around my midriff. So I didn't take any pictures. Maybe some couple more months in the gym and I'll have a picture with the sweater?

Totally understand!

Twinnish! How are ya, sistah? Welcome to the Other Side.:D

One thing I did while teaching myself to knit is making swatches of various patterns from my Reader's Digest Knit and crochet stitch dictionary. Yeah, swatches are squares or rectanges but trying different stitches is fun and a nice change from st st or garter.

Or spring for a set of dpns, go to Silver's Sock tutorial and jump in the deep end. Socks aren't nearly as scary as they look. You don't have to use expensive sock yarn.

Have fun!

Eep, jump in the deep end? That's pretty scary! Making pattern swatches sounds like a great idea!! You are so smart!!!!

After my giant rectangle, er, shawl is done, then I might be up for something more challenging!

Archived