Design your own CAL

Ok I'll admit it...my recent venture into wearables has the wheels in my head churning!!

I have a few ideas for some tops that I can't find a pattern for online...so I'm going to attempt to design my own!!

This will be a long process, lots of frogging lies in store.....but anyone want to take the journey with me?

me me me! I'm definitely in! I like to stretch my creativity too but suck at making anything that fits my body. So I need help in making wearables that fit. If anybody have any suggestions, please post. I'm looking forward to participating in this CAL.

Okay, so just the other day I found this web page or blog that was letting knitters share their design process (yes knitting, but design is design, especially when it is made out of the same material: yarn). They were showing their drawings, swatches, encountered problems and how they solved them. It was really neat and totally appliacable here. But I can't find it again!!! I am so frustrated!!

I started already. Although technically I picked up something that I started a while back but frogged so many times that I became frustrated and put it aside. Now finally I figure out how I want it to look like and things work out fine.

I'm being frugal so I use Lilly cotton for the shirt. The colors look so good that I wanted to eat them myself :D We'll see how it turns out to be and I have tons of tips for this one.

i`m in :)

Yay!! Welcome!!!

I am going to be making a fitted camisole/tank with a lacey (maybe shell stitch?) trim in a contrasting color. I think I'm going to make the body hot pink and the trim either lime green or orange. maybe light pink? I will have to see what Michael's has. I am going to make it out of Sugar and Cream yarn. I can't wait to start!! :hook

Yay!! Welcome!!!

I am going to be making a fitted camisole/tank with a lacey (maybe shell stitch?) trim in a contrasting color. I think I'm going to make the body hot pink and the trim either lime green or orange. maybe light pink? I will have to see what Michael's has. I am going to make it out of Sugar and Cream yarn. I can't wait to start!! :hook

wow can`t wait to see it done :cheer go go go vcufashion419:cheer :clap

i`ll desighn a tank top maybe with motives so it will be easy and fast to make :clap

I am going to make it out of Sugar and Cream yarn. I can't wait to start!! :hook

Hey, me too! I technically finished it already but still need to beautify it a bit (trims and all) One thing about Lily Sugar and Cream is it is too stiff for me. Hopefully it will be soften after some couple of washes.

I'm currently torturing myself on another top using fingering weight yarn :yes Never in my life I thought of using sock yarn for garment but this yarn I'm using is a gift and it's too wonderful to use for socks. Plus I don't knit/crochet socks. So using it for garment is a justifying move :yarn

This CAL is for wearables only? Can it be for other things such as home decor, baby, thread, etc ? I have my own designs to do, but not the wearables yet.

Anything that you design on your own, not just wearables!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I decide to be less ambitious and try to design a handbag first.

I started tonight and I am almost done with one side!! I'm really excited as to how it is turning out :hook

Pictures soon!

so, this is cool because I just finished a bag that i designed all on my own and i am super proud of myself. it wasnt that difficult, just a basic shell pattern, BUT i did it MYSELF! wow! all i have to do is line it and attatch the strap. its very old fashioned/vintage/bohista style. i like it. i just couldnt find a bag in stores that i wanted, so i figured why not make one, right! i'll put up pictures soon.

this is my bag that i created. tell me what you think, honestly. sorry that the pictures are so big. i couldn't make them smaller...

Picture098.jpg

Picture101.jpg

i'm not too thrilled with my lining job. i'm actually going to tear it out and remake it when i have some sit down time. i really rushed thru it because my son woke up and you know, all that kid stuff. plus, i'm not really that great at the sewing machine. i just learned how to hem pants! lol. but, i did write down the pattern and hope to make another one, slightly different (i put all my stuff in the bag, so that i could wear it, and the strap isn't tight enough so it stretched down to my knees!).

Archived