A Fringe ?

How do you all add fringe to an afghan? Do you get the afghan completed first and then cut lengths of yarn and tie them on?

My friend does hers differently and I LOVE the way it looks but to me it would take up so much time. She works her afghans from side (horizonal) instead of vertical and leaves a long tail when beginning a row and then finishes off that row and leaves another long tail at the end. Then starts another row the same way. So basically she is starting and finishing off every single row and has 1 piece of yarn as fringe for each row.

Anyone else do this? Is it as time consuming and difficult as it seems?

I have seen afghans that were fringed this way and I have always liked the way they looked, but I like a heavier fringe on most afghans and doing it this way doesn't allow for the heavier fringe.

Elle

I did this on a scrap yarn afghan. Because I wanted to use a different color each row, I left a end for fringe. If you want a heavier fringe you can go back and add more. I don't know if it took more time as I usually don't fringe my afghans too often(takes too much time and uses too much yarn and I just don't like it). If you want try it on a scarf and see how you like it.

Debbi

I did this on the Stripes (and Stripes) Forever scarf from the Happy Hooker. It didn't seem to add any significantly extra time or work. It is not a heavy fringe, though, so if that's what you're looking for, this may not be the way to do it.

There is an afghan pattern in Blue Ribbon afghans pattern book that uses this method. You start and finish with each row. I can undertsnad the logic behind it, but would probaly never make it as it seems like pain to do. I would rather add the fringe at the end. All that stopping and starting would drive me crazy. Wait I am already there. :rofl

...would drive me crazy. Wait I am already there. :rofl

:rofl

It wouldn't drive you crazy if you had to change colors every row, like I did on my scrap afghan. But if you're using the same color for several rows, then yes it would drive me crazy too... wait... no ... well... :rofl

Debbi

The Navajo one I did and the one I believe you're referring to from the Blue Ribbon book both need to be done working from the right side only, so you have to cut at the end of each row. It's so you can do the dcs in the unworked front loops of a few rows prior. If it was a stitch pattern that didn't need to be worked from one side only, I sure wouldn't recommend cutting after each row because it truly is a major pain.:(

Archived