Clothing Pattern Design Question

How do you prefer your pattern sizes?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer your pattern sizes?

• I'd like a custom-fit because no one has pre-set sizes
    • I don't know how to do custom fit but would choose one if there were instructions
    • I prefer pre-sized because custom-fit is too much work
    • Other

Alrighty...I'm designing some pieces of clothing, and wish to sell/publish some of the patterns as they're completed. What I'd like to know is this:

Do you prefer custom-fit type patterns, where you can make the pattern to fit your own body or the body for whom you're making the item, or do you prefer pre-sized patterns because it's a hassle or you don't know how to custom-fit a garment? Would you pick a custom-fit pattern if instructions on how to do it were included?

Thanks, folks! Your input is greatly appreciated, for it will help me determine how the pattern instructions are written out. Also, if you have any comments as to why you picked your choice, please leave them, because you may have an option that I didn't even think of! ;)

I like both customizable fit and pre-sized patterns. I think it would have to depend on the stitch pattern on which way you write it. If the pattern is just repeating a small group of stitches, then I would suggest using the multiples. If the stitches are arranged in a complicated manner, then I'd suggest going with the pre-sized. Hope I made sense, I've only had 2 sips of coffee so far.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

Since almost every pattern I like, I've had to custom fit, I'm getting to be an expert at that.... But I can see how it would be intimidating. I voted custom fit, but I think what would go over better is a pattern with pre-set sizes and a notes section on how to adjust bigger/smaller shorter/taller.

In the clothing I've made, I haven't had too much of a problem with pre-sized, as long as I did a gauge swatch. Even though I have had to do a little bit of custom work to make some things fit, I like to have definite instructions written down, so I voted pre-sized.

I might buy a pattern for a custom-fit garment if instructions were included, but would probably look around to see what I liked that was pre-sized, first.

I much prefer customizable templates because standard sizes never, never fit me right. But that's not always possible for garments with complex stitch patterns. In any case, I won't bother trying a garment pattern that doesn't have schematics with measurements. With the schematics I can tell if I'm on track; and I can modify the dimensions myself.

I agree that patterns would be better if they had pre-sized instructions, but also give you the multiples so that you would know how to adjust the pattern if you needed to.

Archived