Crochet Garden Sandman Afghan

I just purchased the CG Sandman afghan pattern. It says it is intermediate...I'm a beginner...but I just had to get it! The afghan is so gorgeous and I'm thinking that this would be great gifts for my mom and sister. I've been looking for afghans for them and think this might be the one. For those of you who have made this afghan, how do you think a beginning crocheter will do with it? I'm not too worried, because I know if I take the pattern step by step I sould be fine but I'm just curious what your experiences have been.

Also, I love those sets of winter scarves...I'm thinking those will make awesome gifts this xmas too!!

Thanks!

To be honest, I don't really follow the Beginner-Advanced labels on the patterns. I've started too many beginner patterns that were confusing and advanced patterns that were too easy to do. My suggestion is to read through the pattern to make sure you understand it and do a practice swatch. If you have no troubles with the practice swatch, then you're good to go. If you run into trouble... Well, I'm sure the Villagers wouldn't mind lending a helping hand.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I don't pay any attention to the beginner-advanced labeling either. I do what ever I want. I'll read through the pattern first and if I have spent sometime trying the pattern and don't get it, I'll just put down for a while and come back to it.

I also ought that pattern but haven't tried it yet. The scarves and hats and mittens patterns I bought and loved making all of them for christmas gifts last year.

Good luck.

Val

:) I think you will do just great.. and Lisa has a support forum if you run into any problems...Lots of help to get ya through it.

Also, don't forget that the designer of that afghan is a member here, and I'm SURE she'd be willing to help you out if you end up having problems. :hook

The skill level meters on a lot of patterns seem to vary a lot. I think that it all depends on what the individual pattern writers think the level should be at, and that isn't always accurate. Such as, I've tried to work some Lion Brand patterns that claim to be beginner levels, but are harder than all get out to do! And some of the intermediate level projects have been a breeze to do.

Someone had mentioned reading through the pattern to make sure you understand it, and I second that.

Well, I'm now excited to try it and am looking forward to making this gorgeous afghan! I will definitely read through the whole thing first and just take it step by step. I'm also so impressed with all the support on this board so know that if I run into trouble, I'll just ask you guys for help! Thanks!

Lisa is very helpful and quick with her answers, too...she is great to work with. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Natalie,

did you start your afghan? the afghan of the snadman is my favorite afghan patter. i even had a request from my hubby to make it for my king size bed...so of course i did. if you have any questions feel free to pm me. i just finished one and will be starting another this week. it is an addictive pattern.

nadine

Hi Nadine,

Thanks so much for your interest! No actually, I haven't started it yet because I ended up with other projects but plan to work on it this summer. I will let you know how it goes and if I need it, i'll pm you for help! It looks like a complicated pattern...is it as complicated as it seems?? Thanks!

Natalie

I never follow labels about beginner or advanced either. I think the best way

to follow a pattern is to go one row at a time. If you try to read ahead too

far you get confused and discouraged. I found this one out the hard way.

Awesome! Thanks nadine...Now I want to start right away but I have 2 afghans I have to do first for a wedding. But, I was thinking that I'd practice making the afghan for my dd and then if it turns out nice, I'd make a bigger one for my mom for xmas. It is a beautiful afghan, I love it:manyheart

Would you be able to post a picture of some of yours? I'd love to see them!!

Archived